Lesson Seven Body Parts And Numbers

Lesson Seven is a vocabulary lesson on body parts. It also includes an intro to basic Korean numbers. It will be the second major vocabulary lesson you will learn.

This will be a shorter lesson, simply containing some common vocabulary words based on the body, and the first 10 numbers in Korean. It is provided for you to help you increase your vocabulary with common words.

Body Parts

Korean English

인체Body

머리Head, Hair

얼굴Face

눈Eye

눈썹Eyebrow

코Nose

귀Ear

입Mouth

뺨Cheek

입술Lips

턱Chin

목Neck

어깨Shoulders

가슴Chest

배Stomach

등Back

팔Arm

손Hand

손가락Fingers

허리Waist

엉덩이Buttocks

다리Legs

발Foot

발가락Toes

That basic list of common body parts should be enough to get you more familiar with the language, building your vocabulary. Now whenever you think of a body part, be sure to think of the Korean body part term!

Pure Korean Numbers

First, I will tell you right off there are two sets of Korean numbers you will run into. There are Pure-Korean numbers, which come straight from the Korean language, and there are Sino-Korean numbers, which are taken from Chinese. Both sets of numbers are commonly used, and you will learn when to use which kind.

For now, you will be introduced to the Pure-Korean numbers. Pure-Korean numbers are used to count physical, tangible objects (excluding money) and the hour (but not minutes).

You will learn time in the future. It is more difficult as it is composed of both number systems.

Pure-Korean numbers only go through 99. Sino-Korean numbers can go as large as you like them to.

Here are the first 10 Pure-Korean numbers.

KoreanNumber

하나1

둘2

셋3

넷4

다섯5

여섯6

일곱7

여덟 (여덜)8

아홉9

열10

To form the numbers 11-99, you will simply follow a pattern.

열 + 하나 (10 + 1) 열하나 = 11 

열 + 다섯 (10 + 5) 열다섯 = 15 

But in order to continue this pattern, you need to learn the word for 20, 30, 40, and so on.

KoreanNumber

열10

스물20

서른30

마흔40

쉰50

예순60

일흔70

여든80

아흔90

The pattern is the same as it was for the teens.

25 - 스물 + 다섯 = 스물다섯 

31 - 서른 + 하나 = 서른하나 

46 - 마흔 + 여섯 = 마흔여섯 

55 - 쉰 + 다섯 = 쉰다섯 

69 - 예순 + 아홉 = 예순아홉 

78 - 일흔 + 여덟 = 일흔여덟 

82 - 여든 + 둘 = 여든둘 

99 - 아흔 + 아홉 = 아흔아홉 

There are two last things to keep in mind with numbers. The first four, 하나, 둘, 셋, 넷 change when they come before a noun or something you are changing. They will change to 한, 두, 세 , 네 respectively.

한시 - 1:00 

두 병 - 2 bottles 

네 마리 - 3 animals 

세 장 - 3 pieces of paper 

This occurs in all cases where the number ends in one of these.

아흔한 마리 - 91 animals 

마흔네 명 - 43 people

Secondly, when 셋 or 넷 come before the sounds ㄷ or ㅈ, they may be pronounced 석 and 넉 respectively...instead of 세 and 네. This may not always happen however.

Practice

Use the body part terms above and the Pure-Korean numbers for this practice.

몇 - How Many

귀가 두 개 있어요. 

눈이 두 개 있어요. 

손가락이 열 개 있어요. 

발가락 몇 개 있어요? 

발가락이 열 개 있어요. 

코가 몇 개 있어요? 

코가 한 개 있어요. 

팔 몇 개 있어요? 

팔이 두 개 있어요. 

How many eyebrows do you have? 

How many legs do you have? 

How many fingers do you have? 

How many hands do you have? 

How many feet do you have?