Chapter 2: The Bus Ride and Tavern

Draco fished out the small amount of change he had from occasionally doing the paper route and handed it to bus driver. He walked towards the back of the bus, it was supposed to take to downtown London, which was probably a good start, there was loads of pubs down there with rooms he could stay in. The bus ride was long and boring, he had grabbed a newspaper from the front of the bus to read, which was equally as boring. People came and went on the bus, some payed him no attention, some were drunk despite the time of day, and others looked at him like they knew him.

The bus got to London and he got off, he walked up the old street leading into the newer part of town, there was lots of small shops and at the end of the street a old looking pub by the name of 'The Leaky Cauldron', it seemed like an odd name for a pub in this day and age, but it was in the older part of town. Draco shrugged and decided to check it out, he figured it might have cheap rooms, he walked somewhat nervously into the pub. Once he stepped into the old place, his feet making the ground creak, the talking hushed to whispers as he walked up to the bar to ask about rooms.

"Hello sir," he said in a calm tone, "do you, uh, happen to have a room I could stay in?" he cautiously looked at the pub keeper, he had a few gray hairs and very crooked teeth, which should when he smiled before saying, "Of course, if you would follow me, Mr. Malfoy."

Draco followed the man, bewildered, how had he know his last name? He was just a small orphan boy who he thought no one knew. He was lead to a nice room with a four poster bed, a small desk, a fireplace, a dresser, and heavy silk curtains. He shock his head, he doubted he would have enough money to stay in this place, it was gorgeous.

The pub keeper turned around and Draco asked, "I, uh, how much will this cost sir? I don't think I have enough." He said it in a very sheepish tone, his head low, looking at the floor, he felt bad for having him to go through the trouble of getting him this room and not getting paid.

The keeper chuckled, "What do you mean how much? No charge, of course. Hope to see you at dinner, Mr. Malfoy, make yourself at home. You need anything ask for me, Tom." and with that, Tom, had left.

Draco blinked once the door had closed, how come he didn't have to pay? This was most likely the strangest day of his life. He remembered the small trinket in his pocket and pulled it out. The once clear ball, whirled with red smoke, which contrasted against the purple tint. He was taken aback, why did it change colour? Was it some kind of mood device? Like one of those mood rings? He had no clue.

He went to dinner that night and sat alone in a back corner, he had basic shepherd's pie, which he also didn't have to pay for. When he went to bed that night, his head was in a whirlwind of strange thoughts, the ball still smoking red.