Chapter 2

The next morning Sam and Jake were washing up in the river before school, while Andy and Felix were still asleep in their shed. Sam was careful not to disturb the colourful array of bruises that were resting on his stomach due to the events of the day before. Jake noticed that his shoulder was doing better just a little sore and slight bruising, however, his wrist still seemed bruised pretty badly and had swollen throughout the night. Sam climbed out the river, bundling himself up in one of the towels that him and Jake had stolen off of his dad. He began to sluggishly dry himself off, his eyes drooping form the lack of sleep that he had received night before. Sam wrapped the towel around his waist and padded over to the shed. Upon entering, he saw that Andy and Felix were now awake. Andy was propped up against the wall, rubbing his eyes with his fist, while Felix was scribbling something down in his diary.
"Hey dudes." Sam greeted as he walked inside. Andy looked up at him and upon noticing his bruises asked,
"Sam what happened to your stomach?"
"I don't know, I must have whacked it or something when we were fighting the demon yesterday." Sam replied casually. Andy suddenly stood and stumbled over, then poked the bruises. Sam hissed and moved away.
"Dude, what was that for?" Sam asked, annoyance creeping into his tone. He walked over to where his uniform was dumped carelessly on the ground. He picked up his school polo-shirt, slipping it over his head and carried on getting ready for school. However, Andy followed his around the room.
"Let me see you stomach, you could have broken ribs or something." Andy tried to reason as Sam kept walking away from him.
"My ribs aren't broken." Sam assured him, but Andy wasn't having it.
"Just let me see to make sure, and then I'll leave you alone." Andy offered. Sam decided that it would just be easier to give in, knowing Andy he wouldn't leave him alone until he let him check.
"Fine." Sam sighed, and lifted his school polo-shirt. Andy bent down to inspect. Suddenly, Jake slammed the door open and came bounding inside, causing both boys to jump. Jake was wearing a pair of shorts that he'd worn to school a few days prior, he had another towel that they'd nicked from somewhere on his head, rubbing it over his hair in an atempt to dry his untamed blond curls. Jake threw the towel on the floor and picked up his school polo-shirt, slipping it over his head and sliding his arms through the holes. He turned to Andy and Sam and asked,
"What are you doing?" Sam and Andy turned to look at him.
"Seeing if Sam has broken ribs." Andy stated. Jake walked over to have a look and said,
"Dude, that does look pretty painful." Andy reached out and poked them again. Sam hissed, but didn't move away this time.
"Dude, will you stop poking my bruises, please." Sam complained. Andy just ignored him.
"They don't seem broken, maybe you just have bruised ribs. You'll have to be careful for a while though. Bruised ribs can be pretty painful and take quite some time to heal." Andy said, straightening himself up again.
"Okay mum." Sam teased, letting his school shirt fall back down again.
"You guys should probably get ready for school." Jake said, turning to Andy and Felix. "We're already late as it is." Jake added. The two nodded and started getting ready for school. Trying to prepare themselves up for another day in this world.

By the time that the boys got to school they were already fifteen minutes late, but the were all too worn out by the previous day to care. They made their way to first lesson, the boys were all in the same class, they had science with Mr Bates. When they got to the classroom Mr Bates was at the front explaining some of the work on the board. As the boys walked in he turned around and he stated,
"You're late boys."
"We know." Sam grumbled sassily, as he and the others went to take their seats. Mr Bates' eyes sharpened at this, but he decided to let it go upon seeing how raggedy and tired the boys looked. He suspected something going on with those kids, and he wanted to know what, but they were hardly going to come confide in him. He sighed and went to sign them in on the register. Once he done this he just carried on teaching, but decided to keep an eye on those four boys, who'd only just showed up in town and had already managed to cause so much trouble.