Chapter 7: Get Away

The hot sun burned my eyes once they opened. It took me a little to adjust to the lighting and finally when I wasn't blinded, I looked around the barn to see who was still in here. 
The stall across from me was empty, which is normally where Achilles is. I craned my neck to the left to see if Raye was in her stall. She wasn't. Lovely wasn't in her stall, hers is left diagonal to mine. The only other house that was in the barn besides me was Striker, who's stall is right diagonal from mine.

I didn't dare whisper or call Strikers name due to last night. He needed his rest, and I didn't need to be selfish again.

"You need to stop being selfish Moon." Raye said lovingly as she grazed closer to Achilles than ever before.

"How am I being selfish Raye? I just like talking to Achilles." I muttered as I tried -with little success- to grab a stick with my tiny mouth.

"Silly filly. Your trying to keep Achilles all to yourself. You forget, your sire got us captured."

I stopped chewing my stick, not sure what she was getting at," You could have just run away, like my sire did. And then you would have been just fine. I mean, you are the greatest mare on the ranch and Achilles is the greatest stallion on the ranch. You could leave right now if you wanted to."

Achilles and Raye shook their enormous heads at me. Achilles was the one to speak," You think we haven't tried that my little Moon. We tried that for so long that I almost broke my neck trying to get out. That's when we decided that we needed to accept our fate."

I was puzzled. All the pieces were  in my head,  but they just didn't seem to fit.

Emma calling my name snapped me out of my thoughts of thoss years not to long ago.

"Hey Moon! I brought you an apple! And a carrot," She slipped me both of them and I munched on gratefully," But don't tell anyone." She giggled.

I tried to neigh softly so she could try to understand my thank you, but instead the carrot tried to escape my mouth and almost fell on the ground, if Emma hadn't caught it.

"Silly filly! Your lucky I caught that!" She giggled again and let me trap the prisoner of a carrot into my mouth.
The carrot made a burst of flavors in my mouth like it always does.

Emma's face changed so quickly that I almost didn't even notice," Father says that you are injuring too many of the horses to put you out today. We most likely can put you out tomorrow if father is in good humor. But until then you and Striker should get some shut eye. I'll give you hay and water and open the door to your paddock so you can at least be outside. Father said that your paddock is okay. Who knows, maybe if I get done with school early maybe I can ride you? " Emma laughed," Probably not though. Riding a horse is a 'man's work'. Ugh."
She stomped out of the barn in such an unhappy mood that I thought she would never come back.

I didn't understand most of what she was saying but I understood paddock and outside which seemed good enough for me. My mind kind of grazed over the part where she said that I couldn't go out to the pasture and maybe she would ride me.

I heard the sound of boots against wood which ment that Emma was coming in again. Sure enough her head popped into my vision and she opened my stall door, climbed in with me and went to the back. She glanced at my usual kicking spot and shook her head in a sad manner," You deserve to be outside. It's not good for you to be cooped up."