Interview with Nate D. Burleigh

Whew, Nate. Better bring a strong stomach to get through Clean Break. Gore isn't one of the first things that crosses your mind with noir but you still make some of its core elements shine. Do you remember the first time you encountered the noir style? How did it affect you as a writer?

Blade Runner came out in 1982. My mom took me to see it because we both had a passion for gritty science fiction. The dark, surreal post-apocalyptic feel drew me in. However, I've never written anything before "Clean Break" in the nihilistic noir genre. I guess all my stories have been somewhat influenced by noir in one way or another.

Blade Runner is an absolute classic. Probably my favorite sci-fi of all time. Back to the extreme gore. I like that you brought in another underutilized genre on Wattpad, splatterpunk. What was your inspiration to run with that?

If you've read my novel, "The First", or any of my short stories, you already know I'm a gore fiend. I thrive on making my readers squirm. I'm also into shock value. Gore to be gory is not needed. My gore always has a purpose and I think that's the tone a true splatterpunk writer needs to have. Just like in a jazz band, there's always a build up to that screaming high note which ends it all.

Splatterpunk, much like noir, can be a hard tone to nail. Do you have any advice for striking those stylistic notes?

Like I said before, gore needs to be in the right place. Maybe you'll start a story with a blood-soaked beginning, lay off for a while and then build back up to a graphic ending. Stylistically, I'd tell others who want to write splatterpunk, to write a story they would like to read. If you're not comfortable with blood and guts, maybe you're not a splatterpunk author.

Your story was not only jarring in its capacity for violence, but also in the tough, nonchalant approach of that dark world's inhabitants. Which elements of noir do you find the most satisfying to weave into your stories? (i.e. dialogue, characters, narrative, etc.)

Characters are always a difficult sell. But the grit and darkness needed to create a nihilistic anti-hero was a bit taxing. With Chess, I want my audience to hate him and at the same time, feel sorry for him. Another key in making a successful hard-boiled character is hard-hitting dialogue. One liners like, "Yippee-Ki-yay, mother fucker" and "I'll be back" stand out. I found it a real challenge coming up with worthy one liners. Sooner or later they kind of pop in there.

Do you see yourself coming back to the noir/hard-boiled style in future works? And speaking of future works, what projects have you got on deck for your readers?

I'm sure I'll dabble here and there. As for future works ... you'll have to wait and see. Actually, I want to finish my novels "The First" and "Nasferas: The Begotten" on Wattpad before I work on any new projects. But I assure you, there is much more gore to be written.

Two novels at once, eh? Quite an undertaking. I'm sure you'll be making fans and spoiling dinners at an alarming rate. Thanks for bringing your unique spin on noir to our collection, Nate!

Check out more bloody goodness from Nate with his cannibalistic thriller, The First.