The Playground

After breakfast, Sirius helped Harry down from his high chair and set him gently on the floor. 

"What do you want to do today, Harry?" Remus asked. Harry shrugged. What was he supposed to say? What if they didn't like what he suggested? Remus smiled kindly.

"Okay, how about I give you three options, and you pick one of them?" Harry nodded eagerly, that sounded much better!

"Okay, number one is going out to a shop. Number two is going to the playground. Number three is going to see a movie. Okay, which one sounds the best?" Harry thought about it for a second. Going out to a shop would give him the opportunity to find out more about his new guardians, Going to a playground would be lots of fun, and number three would just be awesome because movies are awesome.

"Um, number...two!" Harry exclaimed. Dudley had gotten to go to the playground lots of times. Aunt Petunia had told him that it was filled with really scary bugs and animals and really scary rides, but Dudley had told him it was awesome and had even boasted about the swings and slides. He had even told him that sometimes uncle Vernon would buy him ice creams or hot dogs for him to eat. Though, Harry was extremely sure that Sirius and Remus wouldn't buy him those things. 

Sirius nodded, he knew that the playground would be lots of fun for Harry, who had never had even a teensy bit of fun in his life after Lily and James had died. 

"Well, why don't we all go get ready. Remus, you can do Harry," Sirius said. Remus nodded and followed Harry up the stairs to his room. Sirius went up to his room. Harry watched as Remus closed his door behind them, just to make sure he didn't lock it. He always hated it whenever someone locked the door with him inside. Remus turned to face Harry and smiled kindly. Harry gave a small smile back.

"Okay, Harry. Why don't we get you in some nice comfortable clothes?" Remus asked. Harry nodded silently. He had grown to like Sirius a lot, but Remus still made him a little nervous. Remus walked over to Harry's drawers and opened it. He pulled out a gryffindor colored long sleeved shirt and jeans. He also pulled out some white socks. "Arms up." Remus instructed. Harry obediently lifted up his arms and winced, fearing for what Remus would do. Remus slipped the pajama shirt off and the new shirt on and pulled his arms back down. Harry stared. That was it? Remus then helped Harry take off his pants and put on the new pair. Harry took care of his socks. 

"All done?" Harry asked quietly. Remus nodded in reply. He opened the door and let Harry out first. When they got downstairs, they found that Sirius was already ready to go and waiting by the door. 

"Okay, Harry, let's get your shoes on. Look, they glow if you step in them!" Remus said excitedly. Harry's face lit up like a firework at how amazing the shoes were. Remus and Sirius grinned, they knew it would be a hit. Harry walked a little bit and stopped to admire how his shoes would glow. It was purely amazing! 

"Come on, Harry, time to go," Remus said gently. Harry nodded and followed his godfathers out the door. They helped Harry into the car before driving to the nearest playground. When they got out, Harry took a look around and smiled. It looked like so much fun. There was a huge slide that had so many loops and turns. There were also a couple of shorter, steeper slides. There were swings that could swing so high! There were these bars that kids would swing on like little monkeys. There was a seesaw that went up and down, high off the ground. Harry clapped his hands in excitement. This would most certainly be his best day ever!

"What would you like to do first?" Sirius asked. It took a little bit to get Harry's attention.

"What, oh, um... how about the big slide?" Harry asked. Sirius nodded and him and Remus both grabbed one of his hands and walked towards it. They helped Harry climb the huge steps and wait in the line of other little children who were waiting for their turn to go down the big slide. They then watched as Harry approached the slide. Remus brought up a camera and began to film. Suddenly, Harry's eyes widened and tears began to fall. Sirius ran over.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Sirius asked. Harry gulped before answering.

"It's so high! I was scared," Harry stuttered in between sobs. 

"Would you like me to hold your hand?" Sirius asked. Harry thought about it for a moment before deciding that that was the best answer. Sirius offered his hand and Harry took it. Sirius closed his eyes and smiled, savoring the moment. Finally, his first true connection to Harry. harry used his other hand and pushed himself down. Sirius ran to keep up as Harry began zooming around and around before coming to the end of the slide. Remus ran over and hugged Harry with all of his might.

"Was that so bad, Harry?" Sirius asked. Harry shook his head, in fact, it had been wonderful! Next, Remus pushed Harry on the swing. But as soon as he got higher than the slide, he turned green and sickly, so Remus got him down. Sirius then took him on the seesaw and Remus helped him across the monkey bar, which proved to be no challenge for Mr.Harry Potter. When they got back in the car, Sirius and Remus turned to look at him.

"What was your favorite part?" Remus asked. Harry smiled as he remembered when he was on the slide.

"When I held Sirius's hand all the way down the big slide," Harry said quietly and shyly as he watched his godfather's faces. They lit up even more than Harry's when he found out that his shoes could glow. 

"You know, Harry, that was my favorite part too!" Sirius exclaimed.