Chapter 1

"What's your name?" The interviewer asked. He was kind of gross in both attitude and looks. He had shoulder length, greasy black hair and patchy facial hair. Acne covered his greasy face as well.

"Calypso Scarlet," I stated with positivity. I shifted a little bit. My tail was tucked into my pants and I hated sitting on it.

"Calypso?" The teenager scoffed, "what are you? A cat?"

I felt my tail flick against my leg and my ears flattened under my hat. "Excuse me?"

"Are you a cat or something?" He repeated.

"No. My parents just really enjoyed Greek Mythology," I replied as politely as I could.

"What makes you think you're qualified for this job?" He asked.

"Well, I worked for Petite Models for a few years," I stated.

The kid scoffed. He looked at his fingernails that were painted black. He had a dozen rubber bracelets on each wrist. He reminded me of a scene kid. "And we care, why?"

My tail started flicking faster with annoyance. This kid was snobby and disrespectful. "Because that means I know what I'm doing."

"I guess," he muttered. "Okay, look. You're the best candidate we've had so you've got the job."

"Really?" I squeaked.

"Yeah. Can you start tomorrow?"

I let out a small squeak again. "Of course!"

"Cool. So, uh," he pulled out a handbook from the inside of the desk, "these are the rules and regulations. Learn them as quickly as possible. Be here at noon." I nodded quickly with a bright smile. "My name is Marcus by the way."

"Nice to meet you Marcus! I'll see you tomorrow!" I turned away from him, hopping he didn't see my k-9s. I waved over my shoulder and hurried out of the office. I had just been accepted to work for one of the top modeling companies in the world. DNA Model Management in New York.

I climbed into my 2016 Dodge Challenger. It was a really pretty purple that sparkled in the sunlight. It had been a present from my parents when they found out I had been offered a job interview with DNA. My mom and dad were always supportive of whatever I did. When I told them I wanted to start modeling, they were all for it as long as it wasn't nude modeling.

I sat forward and pulled my tail out of my jeans. I wrapped it around my waist, letting it sit between my right leg and center council. I ran my fingers through the fur, a small purr rumbling through my chest. It was a nice white color with a few black spots here and there. My ears were also a white color with black spots at the base.

Mama always told me I was special because of my ears and tail. Most Nekos fur matches their hair color but mine did not. I had dark black hair with white highlights that matched my fur. I also had maroon eyes that slightly resembled cat eyes.

Neither of my parents were Nekos. Mama told me that I was adopted but they still loved me anyways. Since I was a little kid, Mama taught me how to disguise my ears and tail. She always told me that people didn't really accept Nekos because they were different. She always taught me to love everyone but don't expect to be loved.

I quickly dialed Mama's number and she answered on the second ring. "Mama! Mama! Mama! I got the job! I'm going to be working for DNA Modeling Management!" I squealed.

"You did?"

"I did! I start tomorrow!"

"I'm so proud of you Calypso! I knew you'd get it," Mama replied. I could practically hear the smile in her voice.