six

ANCIENT GREECE - 2000 YEARS AGO

Athena let out a sigh as she tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear. She bit down on her thumbnail, a nervous habit she had picked up over the years.

How on earth was she meant to tell the man she had spent years loving that she couldn't be with him anymore?

Strong arms wrapped around her waist, and a pair of lips were pressed against her neck. Athena leant back into Silas' chest, desperately clinging to the last bit of comfort she would receive from him.

"What did you want to talk about?" He asked as she spun around in his arms.

"Us."

"What about us?"

"You promised me that you would do anything to call off the wedding. It has been weeks, and yet, I have not seen you do a thing about it," Athena sighed heavily.

"Do not fear, my love," he caressed her cheek. "I have a plan that will fix all of this. I promise."

"I am not sure a promise is enough anymore."

Silas felt his heart shatter like glass into a million little pieces.

"What are you saying?"

"I am saying that I cannot be with you," the tears that began to form in her eyes made it obvious that it wasn't an easy thing for her to do.

Losing someone you love is never easy. It's the kind of grief that stays with you always, constantly reminding you of what you could've had if you had only had a little more faith. This pain is multiplied when the person you've lost is still alive.

"Athena, my love, please – "

"I wish you and Qetsiyah a lifetime of happiness together," she cut him off, breaking eye contact because she couldn't bear to see him cry. Her dark eyes stayed glued to the ground as she spoke, "I would have left this all behind if you had asked me to. I suppose part of me wishes you had. But it's too late for that now."