Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"I have been receiving positive reports on your training." The Commander spoke appreciatively as he walked in front of her, the torches lining the tunnel walls stretching out as far as Krista could see.

Krista remained silent as she walked behind the Commander, his red cape billowing out, barely brushing the sandy ground, as he walked.

Seven feet tall and eight feet wide, the tunnel stretched out in almost perfect lines with torches every three feet.

"We're directly beneath Ludus Magnus's training arena." The Commander paused as the lit torches suddenly came to an end, his head tilting back to gaze up at the ceiling, his helmet resting in his hands in front of him. 

Krista could barely imagine the fact that she had stood and fought on the ground a few feet directly above her head and yet still be unaware that such a secret passage existed beneath it.

"This tunnel goes right into the Arena," The Commander sighed with joy at the games that were coming ahead, "You won't have to see your opponent until you meet her on the sands."

Krista looked up as the Commander turned to face her but his words struck a chord inside her.

Did he think she was so emotional and weak that she would not kill if she happened to speak with her opponent beforehand?

Did he think her weak of mind because she was a woman?

But Krista did not voice these reservations as a strange sound suddenly echoed through the tunnel.

Krista looked towards the darkness but saw nothing, when the sound came again.

"Ahh," The Commander turned and followed her gaze, as a smile crept onto his lips, "The beasts have arrived."

Krista took in his words carefully as further strange noises followed with gigantic thuds and roars.

Krista's heart skipped a beat at the thought of being trapped in a tunnel with no light as something deadly headed straight for her from the darkness.

"Beasts?" Krista whispered, trying to hide her fear.

"Of course!" The Commander cheered as he spun and faced her, "You cannot have games without animals!"

Krista stared into the darkness where, inevitably, at the end she would soon walk out into the sunlight of the arena and imagined cages of beasts being led to their deaths. 

Krista wondered if her tiger from Danghmar had been unfortunate enough to find its way here.  

"Now," The commander turned his back on the sounds and motioned for her to turn back towards Ludus Magnus, "Let's take some refreshments and we can speak."

Krista started to worry about what he wanted to talk about as her fingers began to rub her bruised knuckles almost subconsciously, and within fifteen minutes they were in his room above Ludus Magnus.

Every room Romans occupied looked the same to Krista with their shared love of rich carpets, fur shawls and gold.

"The Senator tells me that you have been training well." Commander Niclaus called back to her as she waited just inside the door as other slaves came forth and started to disrobe the commander of his armour.

Krista itched to free him of the blade strapped to his hip, sink it into his flesh and watch his blood as it emptied out onto the floor.

"-Answer me, girl!" The Commander shouted at her when she did not reply fast enough.