Chapter 32

Chapter 32

"Roman patrols have been spotted near the river," Leonidas informed them as they gathered around the fire after another day of anxious waiting but whilst Krista was there in body she was not there in thought. For as dusk settled Krista knew that it was time. Time to leave the safety of their camp and head back towards Rome.

Frieda and Krista had gathered everything they thought they would need for the long journey to the capital and now, as Krista sat looking into the fire, Frieda was waiting for her in the forest.

Soon Krista will leave and never set eyes upon her friends again because, surely, she goes to her death.

Rome was filled with soldiers and mercenaries, Krista could not hope to outlive the night.

However, as long as she took Pompeia with her to the grave then it was a price Krista would gladly pay.

For the sake of Lazarus, her family's good name and the hundreds of souls that followed her to freedom, Krista needed to succeed. 

"Our numbers are growing every day," Artorius was glad about this but Krista was filled only with the feeling of impending doom, "Soon we shall have to move."

The people that continued to join them were not free people, they were slaves and no doubt their masters would be missing them.

The more slaves that rebelled, the worse it became for everyone affiliated with Krista; it only increased the importance of her mission to Rome. 

"But in the meantime, I say we double the guards on duty," Artorius continued as the moon rose higher in the sky, telling her that she would soon have to leave, like a glass of sand she couldn't turn over.

"The gladiators we have are already stretched along the perimeter," Cato told them, his voice sounding earnest.

Krista laid her eyes upon the bronze skinned gladiator as he spoke. She had not been sure of his allegiances in the beginning but as she watched him with Leonidas she knew that he would never betray them.

"Then we draft in men from the camp," Artorius took control of the situation as Krista simply sat there, watching everyone closely, trying to remember their faces, "Teach them to fight and put them on the perimeter."

It was a good plan, Krista nodded her head slowly, but she would not be here to train them.

If they rode hard, she would be in Rome by nightfall tomorrow. Which meant this would be the last time she gazed upon Artorius's beautiful face.

Bathed in moonlight and making strategic calculations Artorius was more handsome than Krista had ever imagined and her heart twisted in pain at the thought of leaving him.

But this was something that she had to do and she prayed he would forgive her.

When the moon was high enough, Krista stood and looked down at her friends.

Krista had entered Rome once before with only Lazarus to call her kin, but now, as she left to enter the lion's den once more, she had more friends than she deserved in a lifetime. 

Lazarus may not be among them but he would have been proud of the progress she had made. 

"I shall stand guard," Krista told them ominously as she looked at each in turn, their eyes staring back at her with confusion at her sudden declaration.

Leaving Artorius until the end, Krista's jaw clenched as his ebony eyes looked up at her, oblivious to her plan and not knowing that this would be the last time they saw each other.