Chapter I: [D]eserving Of Life

System Settings... Set to Default?

<Yes> or <No>

Setting to Default... Complete.

Memory Data... Corrupted.

Restore Back-up Memory?...

<Yes> or <No>

Restoring Back-up Memory... Complete.

System Temperature... Normal.

Virus Detected... None.

Motion Control... Fully Operational.

Restart System to Apply Settings?...

<Yes> or <No>

Restarting Android No. VII...

...

...

...

Restart... Complete.

Please Insert Box to Start up Android No. VII...

Error!... Insufficient Memory to Sustain Box Data... May Cause Severe Damage to System Proficiency and Separation from Network to Avoid System Overheat... Proceed Anyways?...

<Yes> or <No>

Warning! ... Memory will be Reset to Basic Memory to Accommodate Data... Proceed Anyways?

<Yes> or <No>

Resetting Back-up Memory to Basic... Complete.

Separation from Network...Complete.

Black Box System... Normal.

Black Box Temperature... Normal.

Start up Android No. VII?...

<Yes> or <No>

Starting up Android No. VII...

...

...

...

Start-up...Complete.

--*--

"Pascal... What am 'I'?"

The question causes Pascal to pause, his electronic green eyes refocusing to the young android woman sitting across from him.

"The machines of this village are...different from me. Big sister machine tells me it's because I'm an android. What is an android, Pascal?" The android woman's blue eyes shone with something akin to what humans called 'curiosity'. The sound of mechanical gears turning resounded in the small abode of Pascal, his mechanical fingers resuming their work on sewing a pair of shoes that were half-finished on the table.

"Does it bother you that you are different, Vee?" Pascal returns the question with his own, the android woman's figure perking up at the inquiry.

"Not at all! I mean, I'm just curious if there are others like me, Pascal... Are there?"

Pascal's imitation of a 'chuckle' echoes from within the small hut, Vee's head tilts in 'confusion' at her 'guardian's' sudden action. Humans once did such acts when there was something 'funny' about a situation.

'Funny' is a term used by humans to refer to some sort of situation that triggers them to release a 'chuckle' from their vocal cords. Such situation that were deemed 'odd' or 'unusual' triggered 'laughter' from them.