Chapter III: Fond Memor[I]es?

"Ah, 2B and 9S. So good of you to drop by." Anemone, the leader of the Android resistance greeted upon noticing the sight of the two YoRHa androids making their way towards her.

Only when she moved her eyes a bit did she notice a young female android tagging along the entourage- her bright blue eyes taking the place in with both awe and nervousness. The moment their eyes met, Anemone felt like she had been hit by a building.

'It can't be-!' She thought, taking in a sharp breath as she tried to compose herself. It was impossible, after all, for 'her' to have survived 'that' day.

Completely impossible and yet why did the android accompanying them look so much like her? Given that the last time Anemone had a chat with the so-called android- that android herself had told Anemone that she was the only one left of her model...

"We we're told to deliver this to you from a machine named Pascal." 2B merely stated, handing the resistance leader the filter Pascal had given them. Anemone took the said filter from their hands, her mind barely processing the two since it remained transfixed on the lone android following them.

Vee noticed this, her initial reaction was to flinch back in worry while trying her best to fumble for her words without messing up her introduction. All she had to do was follow what 9S said and just say 'hello'. It's a simple human gesture and she hoped that the woman before her wouldn't consider her weird for doing so.

So mustering her 'courage' Vee glanced at Anemone and shyly lifted her hand in a simple wave. "U-um Hello! My name is Vee..."

Anemone continued to stare at the android- much to Vee's nervousness. Vee? Anemone could have sworn she went by a different name before. Was Anemone only just being paranoid? The android before her didn't seem to even recognize Anemone. A deletion in memory, perhaps? Yet even so, the idea could only make a resistance leader shake her head, giving Vee her most honest smile before nodding.

If it really is her, then maybe losing her memories was for the best. As much as it pains Anemone to see a possible old companion not remember her, there are just some things better off not remembering.

"A pleasure to meet you as well, Vee. You seem to be a new face here, from where do you reside?" Anemone greeted before asking, Vee shuffling awkwardly before responding.

"Um... From a machine village. B-but Pascal tells me I'm an android so um... You don't have to worry about me being an enemy. Pascal's a good machine and as well as everyone in the village so they're not enemies!" Vee stumbled at her words even going so far as to defend her village from Anemone before apologizing quickly for talking too much.

It might have been 9S' imagination but he could have sworn the resistance leader passed Vee a fond smile before nodding, the male android quickly dismissing it as Anemone's way of probably trying to ease Vee's nervousness towards her.

"Consorting with machines, huh. That's quite a surprise." 9S finally speaks up, Anemone turning to the YoRHa android while shaking her head.

"They have parts we can't get anywhere else. Besides, as Vee had just said, they are as harmless as flies and have no intention of causing any harm. It's an amicable trade between us... I think humans once called it 'commerce'." Anemone explained, 9S merely accepting her excuse yet still remaining suspicious. Sure the village posed no threat, even going so far to let him and 2B take an item and Vee to the camp to prove a point but unless 9S could come to a solid conclusion of their innocence, then he would have to remain guarded when in the village.

Vee could already imagine herself 'face palming' at Anemone's words. Of course she would already know, why would Pascal generously offer them a filter if he didn't know them. Vee had only been restarted a month ago but it's obvious that Pascal's village and the resistance camp have had a long standing relationship.

And for her to spout out about it like a stuttering kid made her even more embarrassed. No wonder Anemone was smiling at her like that. She was probably trying to be kind to her about it. Vee's heard before that first impressions last and right now she's made a complete fool of herself to both her chaperones and the resistance leader herself.

"Still, thank you for delivering the filter to us. I know that it seems so sudden but I was wondering as well if you could help me deliver this back to Pascal?" Anemone asked them, a jar of what appeared to be Viscous Oil sloshing inside.

"What, are we delivery androids now?" 9S questioned but nevertheless watched 2B take the item and walked away with him following suit. Anemone could only pass them what appeared to be an apologetic look, whether the two androids noticed, she didn't seem to mind.

"Assisting fellow comrades is a vital key to success so stop complaining." 2B chided him, the male android merely sighing in defeat at how emotionless his partner sounded right now.

"Fine. Fine. Geez, always the uptight one now, are we?" He waved off before turning to Vee, her form jumping in surprise at having been acknowledged.

"You've seen the camp just like Pascal asked of us to. This is as far as we were supposed to take you to but given that we will be returning back to the village anyways, we'll be leaving it up to you if you want to go back home with us or not." 9S said to her, Vee's eyes widening at how quick and abrupt her tour had ended.

To be honest, she did want to explore more and maybe even talk with a few of the androids but seeing as 9S and 2B looked in a hurry to leave... She had no right to complain. She didn't want to burden Anemone with having to escort her back to the village and neither did she want to burden 9S and 2B by dragging them down due to her curiosity for the camp. Sure she could decline but the thought of going back all by her lonesome as well seemed a bit too daunting a task for a weak android like her.

Besides, she did get a taste of freedom and adventure even though it was cut short.

"I'll go with you. Thank you for the offer." Vee smiled in understanding, her wide grin earning her an 'embarrassed' look from 9S before assuring her in a hurried tone that she didn't have to bother thanking them for it.

"Still! Having taken your time to accompany me amidst your tight schedule still earns you a form of gratitude. I've read books that it makes other humans happy when you do so. Seeing as we are modeled after them, I thought it was only right that I upholded their traditions no matter how weird they are." Vee admitted before turning to Anemone who seemed startled that Vee noticed her.

"Thank you for today, Anemone. I hope we meet again next time when Pascal ever agrees to let me come along." Vee bows before giving the leader a quick wave of good-bye and jogged to where her two chaperones were waiting for her.

Those familiar blue eyes. Anemone wonders if maybe her circuits were too old that it messed with her memory. Her gloved hands rummage for something in her pocket, the small silver chip dangling by a chain gleamed in the afternoon sun when she took it out and gave it a long look while recalling an old memory.

"Vee... Huh."