Him, Me, and The Railroad Tracks 2

The sun was beating down on me as a walked outside of my school. I paused for a moment viewing the surroundings. Everyone was crowded around the buses in their little pods of people and also amongst them were couples… coupling. I rolled my eyes as I slipped on my headphones and began my walk home.

I slowly strolled to the back of the school and into the woods, they were my after school shortcut of going home. I noticed absently that even the dirt was dry and powdery. I walked awhile under the cover of the trees relishing that the sun couldn’t pound down on me. I squinted against the bright sun as I reached the end of my woods shortcut. Running through the middle of the woods was an old railroad track. It was rarely used and even when it was only by a midnight train. I pulled my hood up to block some of the sun as I made my way onto the tracks. I was looking down at my feet when I noticed a pebble twitching on the tracks. I paused and looked up noticing a billow of smoke rising up from a bend in the woods.

A train?

I blinked in surprise. I went to move off the tracks, but my pant leg was caught on something. I bent down and tugged on it desperately as the tracks shook more. I was pulling nearly in tears as I watched the train speed closer as its whistle blew, shaking me to my core.

I swallowed a hysterical laugh as I realized that I was going to die here, on these tracks. It was just at this moment that I was knocked off the tracks. Arms circled my waist and the world tilted. I felt my backpack fly off me. My surroundings blurred into a kaleidoscope of colors. The blue of the sky, the steel gray of the tracks, green of the train. The world seemed to go into slow motion as soon as it stopped spinning.

Lying on top of me was a guy, maybe a little older than I was. He was ruggedly handsome with hair the color of coal. His icy blue eyes looked deep into mine. Everything hushed as our eyes made the connection. The sound of the train’s whistle disappeared and only the sound of our breathing remained.  My heart pounded in my chest whether from the adrenaline or the fact that this gorgeous guy was on top of me… he was on top of me.

HE WAS ON TOP OF ME!

I pushed on his chest. “Get off me!”

He blinked in surprise, but scrambled up and off of me.

I stared after the train as it continued on its way. I stared blankly at it until I heard him.

“Are you okay?” He asked his voice was smooth and a little low.

“I… “My mouth was dry so I swallowed and started to speak. “I’m fine.”

“You need help up?” He asked, offering me a hand.

"Thank you." I said my voice quivering as I placed my hand in his.

He grasped my hand gently. His palm was rough against my own as he pulled me up.

"You’re welcome."

I watched him through my eyelashes. He smiled and it felt like my world stopped for a moment. He was glorious. A light danced in his eyes and it made my heart skip a beat.

I swallowed hard before speaking, "I'm Tori. And you are?"

His smiled tightened and a strange light filled his eyes making them stormy for a moment. "Tyler."

I blinked, startled by the change on his face. My stomach began to twist into a knot. “Well, thank you for saving me. Goodbye.”

“Bye.” He said.

I turned to grab my backpack, still packed with my schoolbooks and homework. I was thankful that it had a buckle that kept it closed. When I turned around to see if he was still there, all I saw was empty tracks, gravel, and the woods.

I got home with no trouble after that. I stood in front of my house taking it into check. It was still the same, big and dark with no cars in the drive way. I went to pull my keys from my pocket only to find them missing. I sighed and pulled back the rug to retrieve the spare key.

Once inside I whispered a tentative, “Hello?”

Silence answered me. Not that that surprised me. I was always alone.

I climbed the stairs and threw my bag on my bed. My room was still painted white; it was bear except for the bed with the brown blanket and the white nightstand and blue lamp. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror.

I was almost killed today.

My body trembled. A sob rose from my chest. Tears built up in my eyes and spilled onto my cheeks.

No one would have even known I was dead.

I spent the night pacing around my room, hearing the floor creak. It didn’t distract me from thinking. Tears ran down my face for a reason I didn’t know, nonetheless they continued to fall. My homework lied abandoned in my bag. I couldn’t have attempted to do it with my mind constantly thinking. In the end that's what I dreamed of racing trains and blue eyes.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey readers,

I just wanted to say thank you for the vote and comments. Please vote. If not, next upload will be soon. ^-^

-GB