Chapter Four

Chapter Four

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--Draco--

        I walked towards the Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement, holding a bird in my hand. I opened the door and placed the bird inside, wondering if I had finally managed to fix the stupid thing. This was part one of my assignment, fixing the cabinet so the other Death Eaters could get into the school.

        The task still put me on the edge, and I was starting to feel guilty about doing it. But did I have a choice? No. Either I could let my mother die, or let Dumbledore die. The choice wasn't that hard to make...Sorry professor.

        That day in Potions still lingered in my memory, and it seemed as if that photograph was imprinted into my very brain. Whenever I closed my eyes, I would see it replay again and again, forcing me to open my eyes and grind me teeth together. It was causing me to pull off many all nighters, and I was dead tired now.

        The most simple thing that I could've done was ask my mother if this Alia girl seemed real. Did I have her as my best friend years ago? Or was it just one big lie? She was a mudblood! How dare my parents let me associate with someone as low as her class?!

        The only problem was, if Alia wasn't my best friend, then my mother would become suspicious about her, and maybe have the Dark Lord look into her background. I couldn't let that happen.

        I froze in surprise, then gritted my teeth together, making a fist. There I go again! Caring for her as if she really matters to me! I growled, punching the cabinet closed in frustration. It shut with a bang, making me jump. I sighed. Merlin, I was getting agitated for no reason.

        But honestly...why was I caring so much about her?

        What made her so important to me?

        Maybe an owl isn't such a bad idea... I mused. I decided that there wasn't any harm in asking mother, so I headed to the Owlry and called up Dragon, my owl. Ironic name? Yes, I know.

        Dear Mother, I wrote.

        How have you been? School is so boring this year, I tell you, Hogwarts is really going downhill. Snape has been appointed Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts, and some fool named Slughorn has been appointed as Potions master. All he does is lick up to Potter, it's quite annoying, really.

        I certainly hope that The Dark Lord hasn't given you too much trouble. I am working my hardest to make sure that you are comfortable. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure that we have honor in our family, do not worry.

        However, this letter wasn't just a ploy to get me to talk to you. I actually have a question in mind. In Potions, I have been assigned to work with this stupid girl named Alia Morgan. She claims that we used to be best friends--but to me that's a lie. She's been wailing about how stupid I am not to remember..and she even has a photograph of proof that we used to be together.

        Why do I not remember, mother?

        Was Alia even my friend so start with?

        I am so confused.

        ~ Your Son, Draco Malfoy.

        As I finished up my letter, I felt a lot better--lighter in fact. It seemed as if talking to my mother was all I needed to feel better. As I watched Dragon fly away, I hoped that my mother would reply soon. I wasn't sure if I could face Alia till after I got her reply.