Chapter Four

"I see the Goddess Lani has blessed you Ignes. You, an untried youth who has never seen the likes of war. Compared to a warrior of my many years and knowledge that spans many, many cycles.

I also see you have an Earth female. I thought the great Ignes didn't want a female of such lowly stature? What a blessing indeed. I can see who she favors of her two Primes," Angor said with malice and practically spat the last word out as if it was something distasteful.

"Careful Prime Angor. Lani hears and knows all. Do you wish to face her wrath," Andan said gently as he moved his beast slightly in front of Ignes's.

Angor ignored the other male and held Ignes's stare as he waited to see what the younger Prime would say or do. The other male's Second was not a warrior he worried over. He was just as young and just as weak as the Prime in front of him. How dare the Goddess bless him before me? Have I not been faithful? Have I not served long enough?

Ignes held the other male's stare before he spoke calmly and with authority, "The Goddess Lani is most generous and I am thankful she has blessed me so. Indeed, I did not wish for an Earth woman, but a Tnarian female.

However, how am I to throw such a gift back into the Goddess's face? I wish no ill will from our benevolent Goddess. To seek her wrath is to seek death, my friend. Let us pass and be on our way. We can discuss matters at a later date, Prime Angor of Eastern Lani."

Angor was about to draw upon his weapon when he noticed a flicker of movement out of the corner of his eyes. Several Veloo were gathering and making the Doshoua nervous. The Veloo were similar to Earth wolves except for being bigger and having longer fur. They also had a pair of vicious, long fangs that can rip out the throat of a Doshoua very easily and their claws could retract like an Earth's cat.

"It would appear that our thoughtful Goddess has heard our words and is sending help to this youngling before me. How wonderful it is to be the favorite of such a considerate being. Even if the female gifted is of a primitive species," Angor said icily before he lowered his hand, turned his Doshoua around, and gave the order to leave.

Ignes watched Angor's back disappear over the horizon before glancing over at the small gathering of Veloo. They did not attack but stood there as if waiting for him to speak.

"Thank you, my Goddess and I appreciate your help. It appears the heart of our noble Prime of the East is broken. I pray that one day a strong female will melt his ice. Until then, I beg of you to keep an eye on him," Ignes said with deep respect and bowed as deeply as he was able on top of his Doshoua.

The leader of the Veloo gave a slight tilt of the head and purred loudly before setting off into the direction Angor went. As if to keep a watchful eye on him and his men.

"It appears my Prime that our supreme Goddess has heard your words and is pleased by your thoughtful expression. However, the time grows late and we must hurry. This distraction has cost us precious moments and I fear we will arrive home when darkness falls," Andan said reverently before urging his beast into motion once more.

* * *

Jennie had been silent for several hours before she started to fidget in Ignes's lap. They had been riding for hours and now her bladder was screaming at her. Dusk had fallen and she noticed that the trees were getting thicker as they went. Her mind was also trying to come to terms with the fact the man holding her didn't want her but settled for this Earthling female because of his Goddess's will. Which royally pissed her off and caused her heart to ache funnily.