Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"What's wrong is Andrew okay?"

"Ma'am I'm so sorry..."

"No!!" I cry out

"He died a hero, he will be greatly missed. We already informed your parents"

"Please tell me this isn't true" I sob into the phone.

"I'm so sorry..." No no!

"No!! Andrew..." I blubber into the phone and then just like that I am on the floor crying in a fit of panic. My arms curl protectively around my waist as I cry my heart out.

"April!" Will is on his knees next to me in a heartbeat and I rest my head on his lap.

"Are you alright?"

"He's gone...he's gone..." My voice is vacant of any emotion my eyes void of color.

"Who's gone?"

"Andrew" I cry harder and the realization that Adam doesn't know fills my head. I sit up straight startling Will and take the stairs two at a time. I am dressed and in front of my computer in five minutes. I pull up Skype praying that he is on.

"Please be on...please be on" he is! I video call him and wait for him to answer. His face pops up on the screen. A laugh cry escapes my lips as I see him.

"There's my girl" he smiles and it breaks my heart to have this news.

"Adam..." I cry and put my head in my hands.

"Did that boyfriend of yours do anything to you why are you crying?" Oh he always gets so brotherly when I cry.

"No.. We are perfect more than perfect." I smile and he smiles too.

“I miss you April I wish I was there to watch you play soccer."

"I miss you too now more than ever... Adam I have some bad news" he turns and checks to make sure his tent is clear and then he lets go.

"What's wrong? Are mom and dad okay?"

"Their fine in the physical sense. Adam it's about Andrew" his face falls and it breaks my heart further.

"He... He died in the line of duty" I cry out and watch as my once tough brother breaks down in tears with me.

"Tell me this is some kind of sick joke" I shake my head and cry harder.

"I'm coming back; I don't care what I have to do"

"Adam you’re on tour right now you need to do your job"

"My job is to protect and I need to be home to protect my family right now"

"I'm so sorry Adam... I know you weren't expecting this"

"Just be careful okay. I will be back as soon as possible I love you"

"I love you too" he hangs up and I gather my emotions. Arms encircle my shoulders and he breaths on my neck.

"Are you alright?"

"I will be with time." I turn and hug him tightly afraid of letting go...

Adam got back a few days ago and I can't even face him, I haven't spoken to Will since I got the call. He tries but I either walk away or avoid him completely which is hard when we see each other so much at school.

"April why are you avoiding me?" He found me hiding under a tree during lunch and I just don't have the strength to move. "Is it something I did?" It hurts hearing the pain in his voice and knowing I caused it makes me want to cry. Tears swell in my eyes and next thing I know my cheeks are wet and my chest hurts from hyperventilating. Will puts his arm around me but I shrug it off and run to my car. I see him standing where I left him as I drive away. I drive until I can't hold on anymore. Turning into the park I grab my iPod and decide to walk to the lake. Listening to my country music calms me. When "over you" by Miranda Lambert comes on I am down at the lake and sitting in the shade. Absentmindedly I begin singing; it feels good to sing I haven't since we moved.