Part Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

"You've going to America?" Lizzie tucked the phone under her chin and threw her remaining clothes into her suitcase before she replied to Vicky.

"It sounds like I'm rushing into this I know, but hell; we both deserve a break..."

Vicky sighed, "I just worry about you..."

Lizzie sank to the bed and slumped forward, the phone still at her ear, "I know what you think. But this is good for Nate, and shit I need a break too! I can't afford a holiday, not after paying for the funeral..."

"YOU paid for it? Are you kidding me?"

Lizzie groaned, "look Janis had no savings, my parents wanted a full catholic mass. It was me or something she didn't want."

Vicky let out a sound that was half scream and half grunt, "this story just gets fucking worse Liz, I am stunned."

Lizzie sighed, "I know that, but look. I have a chance for some time away, change of scenery, and despite my protests Oscar is paying our flights, and we're staying with his sister...not him. Ok?"

"I suppose he's offering you more than your sister ever did...I'm still so bloody angry that you didn't make our trip."

Lizzie sighed, it was a sore point for them both, and she felt sad, "don't be angry at me, babe. I'm trying my best."

Groaning Vicky quickly protested, "I am not doing anything but supporting you, I promise. I just don't feel that anyone else is sat in your corner mate, and I fear where all this is going to end."

"It will end with what's right for Nathan, Vicky, you know that."

"I know that he's always first, but what about YOU?"

Smiling, even though her friend couldn't see it, she replied, "I love that you care about me that much, but I'll be fine, I promise."

Oscar pulled his hire car to a stop outside Lizzie's house and turned off the engine. His phone had been buzzing since he left his home. In the five days since he'd suggested their trip it had been chaos. But Lizzie had come through, the solicitor had sorted paperwork that meant she took official guardianship of Nate for the journey, and he had sorted ESTAs and tickets. Now he was sat outside her house about to collect them to go to the airport.

Before getting out, he reached for his phone to see Coop, his brother-in-law's number on the screen. Immediately he worried about his sister, his niece and nephew, but by the time Coop answered he was chastising himself for worrying.

"So I've got the annex sorted for your guests."

Coop was straight to the point.

"Thanks, it's a big help."

His friend sighed, "are you sure about this, Oscar? Them visiting?"

Was he? He still wasn't sure, but he didn't want to leave them, either of them. "Is it a problem? They can stay somewhere else." Oscar was a little prickled by his question.

"Whoa!" Coop's response was immediate, "I was just checking that you were ok, this is HUGE thing bro, bringing your new found child and his guardian to your home. I worry about you, that's all."

Oscar sighed; he and Coop had been at loggerheads since he'd got involved with his sister, to hear his concern touched him. But being a typical man, he wasn't about to gush with emotions.