Part Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

A/N Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments, I'm really enjoying writing this story, my first ever sequel! Lizzie's having a hard time, and this is no different. Think some of you will feel for her, but I think this is her finally relaxing, what do you think?                        

"I've got to head to New York City, a meeting with my boss; I'm looking for a long term schedule change. I'm aware that you are kind of dumped with my family. But you can come with me if you want. It's a cool place to go?"

Oscar was stood on the doorstep, the snow already melting around him, the sun shining.

Lizzie had slept well, though drinking the lion's share of the bottle of wine that Freya had brought probably helped with that. Freya had text an hour ago that Nate was still asleep, so she was surprised to be disturbed from finally reading her book by Oscar.

Once again he had fallen upon her rather underdressed. The chill that wafted around him into the hallway was having a rather obvious affect on her nipples and she was very aware of that. Stepping back as she offered Oscar into the apartment, she reached for a long knitted cardigan that was hanging on a hook, and wrapped it around her. She was sure she didn't imagine the groan of relief as he passed her.

"You want a coffee?"

He nodded, "brilliant thanks."

When she walked back into the lounge, with the coffee, he was pacing the room anxiously. He'd slipped off his coat, but was wearing a thick knitted sweater over some worn jeans. He made anything look amazing; he could be a catwalk model.

"You don't have to worry about us. Nate's having a great time." She offered that as she handed him a mug of coffee.

He nodded, "I can see that, but my sister...Coop, they're still strangers to you, I don't want to abandon you both...and if I need to spend a couple of nights in Manhattan, I figure we could go there together. At least there's something to see there, things to do."

Lizzie watched him as he sipped at the coffee, he seemed wired, nervous even, it had taken a lot to ask this maybe. She sighed, was more time in his company a good thing...if she stayed she'd be at the beck and call of the Coopers, dumped on them, not that they weren't the most genial of hosts. If she joined him, it could throw up a whole new set of problems, and she wasn't sure she was ready for. They had got on back in Manchester, he'd been caring, supportive, understanding...but since coming here, that had all changed.

"I don't know Oscar, maybe we need to spend some time apart...we have done nothing but argue."

He sighed, "I won't lie to you, I hate the thought of being apart from Nate so soon after him finding out who I am. I know I've been a prick since we've been here, it's all my fault, I'm just finding it hard seeing the different parts of my life collide I guess. We get along Lizzie, I've known you about a month, and already I feel like you are a great friend. Can't we go to the Big Apple as friends? A clean break. A new start?"

She digested that for a moment, wrapping her fingers around her warm mug. "Can I think about it?"

He laughed, "of course, I'd expect nothing less. But I have to organise flights - my meeting is first thing, we'd need to fly early evening at the latest."

She nodded then sipped her coffee.

"I'm not normally like this."

That made her lift her eyes and stare at him, "what?"