Chapter 14

Harry stood with his arms crossed over his chest, shoulders squared and back straight. His stance was strong, almost cocky, and very self-assured. He met the gazes of each of the Order members unwaveringly, as if daring them to challenge him. Draco and Luna stood slightly behind him, flanking him.

The Order members were seated in the eight thrones. One of them was empty and Draco assumed that was Peter's. All but Sirius and James were sitting straight. James was resting his chin on his fist, leaning against one of the armrests, and Sirius was sprawled in his seat, one of his legs thrown over the armrest of the throne. He still managed to look curiously regal. Draco saw Apolline shooting Sirius disapproving glances while he studiously pretended not to notice. Remus merely looked amused.

It was difficult for Draco to wrap his mind around the fact that Sirius shared blood with his mother. He had seen the Black family tree countless times and Sirius wasn't a part of it. He looked for any semblance between the Marauder and Narcissa and found only the same high, elegant cheekbones. Thinking of his mother made Draco's heart ache, so he turned his attention to Harry, who had begun to speak.

"There is a prophecy," Harry said, his voice cool.

"Regarding?" The man with silvery hair asked gently. Luna had whispered to Draco that this man was Albus Dumbledore, leader of the Order.

"The Lord of the Lamented."

Charlie's brows raised as Apolline's furrowed. Draco noticed Sirius began to pay more attention, as he stopped fiddling with one of his rings and sat up a little bit.

"Does Peter know about this?" Remus questioned.

"I assume not. I've no way of contacting him."

James spoke. "He must have his suspicions. He was the one who alerted us that Voldemort had escaped the locker. I suspect he's already begun guessing at Voldemort's intentions."

"How did Voldemort escape the locker?" Apolline asked, her voice lilting and almost entrancing. "I notice Peter is not amongst us."

James instantly whipped his head to the side to stare her down. "If you're implying that Peter had a hand in this, I suggest you hold your tongue. He is a Marauder. I would appreciate you not accusing him of betraying the Order." The expression on his face was almost identical to the one Harry made when determined.

"It is a concern that needs to be raised," Apolline pushed. "No one has ever escaped from the locker before."

"I agree with your suspicions that he had help," Luna interrupted, stepping forward slightly. Though she spoke softly, her voice carried and everyone turned to look at her. "Someone believes if they assist Tom Riddle in gaining the title, he will be indebted to them and they will be able to manipulate him to do their bidding. Someone wants the sea rid of pirates and is desperate enough to enlist a pirate to help them."

"Only a human would be foolish enough to do this," Apolline said sharply.

Minerva spoke sternly. "We begin to digress." Everyone quieted. "Is Tom Riddle aware of this prophecy?"

"If he is, he heard it from either Sybill or Cassandra," Luna's voice sounded dreamy, almost far away. "This is an ancient divination. Either of them could have channeled it."

"All we know," Harry said, "is that he's actively seeking the power."

Everyone was quiet for a little while. All Draco could hear was the sound of the dragon's wings flapping somewhere above, sounding far away, and the water cascading down the platform. He shifted his weight and waited for someone to speak, slowly processing all the information he was gathering. Everyone was seemingly deep in thought and when the silence was finally broken, it was by Albus.