Help

"Hey everyone! Jeff's home!" 

I saw Angel grab the bird kid out of the corner of my eye before my troop, my family, initiated dog pile. I heard my bones crack as the pressure of 21 and a half human huskies jumped on top of me. I had to laugh. I had missed them. 

I expertly slipped from the dog pile and stood just outside of the mass of bodies as they untangled themselves. I struggled to keep my eyes on anyone but her. The reason I left. The reason I... I looked. She was glowing. She was huge. She was beautiful.

Our eyes met briefly before she turned away, embarrassed. It still hurt. 

Suddenly, 20 husky noses hit the ceiling as they caught the scent of Angel. 

"Is that a cat?"

"Off limits." I said. 

And then suddenly Ray was in front of me. 

"Why do you smell like Mandy? Where is she."

"Mandy? How do you know Mandy..."

"I was assigned to keeping an eye on her until she could take care of herself."

"You're kidding... "

"No."

"Then why the heck is she in some freak show prison!" I was losing my temper. I couldn't... Not in front of her. 

"She could take care of herself."

"She only just learned she was the freaking ultimate you piece of..." Cool it Jeff. Cool it. I closed my eyes. Heart beat slower. Breathing deeply. "How could you leave her alone."

"She wasn't alone. Some cat was with her." 

"Ray. She thought you were her brother. You shouldn't have let her." She was looking at me. Those eyes. Look away Jeff, look away. 

"I'm sorry ok? The boys needed some help with an assignment." 

"You were chosen to guard the ULTIMATE. NOT SOME WORTHLESS NUTCRACKER HAMSTER! WHY THE HECK DID YOU THINK IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO LEAVE HER ALONE?" Too late. It's too late. My fist came flying up and slammed into Ray's jaw. Her protector. Her brother. How could he. How could he even think of...

"Jeff..." Angel's voice came floating in through the anger, through the hurt. 

Her hands gently took my shoulders and turned me to face her. 

"Jeff, it's ok. We'll get her back."

I nodded. The anger was gone. I was just hurt now. 

"can you tell me what we're doing here?"

I looked her in the eyes. I saw fear there. That hurt too. I felt tears burning at my eyes. I was tired of this. This sucked. I just keep hurting people. This is why I left. This is why...

"Hey, hey, hey. It's ok. Jeff? Can you talk to me?"

"We need help." I waved my arm behind me. "They can help."

Angel nodded curtly and then turned to the pack. 

"Listen up numskulls." I chuckled at her fierceness as I sat on the floor, facing away from everyone. "This idiot," she would be motioning to Ray, I knew. "Let the Ultimate get captured. She is being held in a top security facility by the jerk named Kevin who is basically a mad scientist willing to end her life to get what he wants. Neko, her man...cat... and my friend... is also being held captive in order to keep her there. We need your help to bring them home."

"Why should we?" I heard more than two say in unison. 

"Because I'll beat your skulls in if you don't." 

They all laughed. Except Sarah. Sarah wouldn't laugh. 

"Test me." she said. I could imagine the evil glint in her eyes. I smirked. How could you not. 

I leaped to my feet and shoved my shoulder into Darren's throat as he went for hers. I saw the shocked look on Angel's face as I passed. I grinned. I liked that face.