Memories ~ Maria

Maria was over at Spain’s place, for some business with their bosses, plus she was on her vacation. They can discuss matters while they were sipping from their glass in a local restaurant or anything. She scowled. She really wasn’t planning to go there, but she had to. It would be nice seeing an old friend again.

      Antonio welcomed her with open arms. He had approached her a little less cold than how he usually does whenever she comes to visit. Nevertheless, she’s part of the family – or used to be. “Welcome, hija! I’m glad you could come!”

      Philippines hauled her baggage as they went down the airport and hailed a taxi to get to Spain’s house. When they got there, Maria took the time to take in everything around her.

      The place was new, but it’s as though nothing changed. It made her recall the times she would fool around in the lobby or explore the house when she was a kid.

      “This place brings back some good memories,” and some bad memories, too. The country made her reminiscence those days when she was a young lady who had served under him. “It kind of reminds me of the time when you would tell me what to do and boss me around.”

      The Filipina walked side by side with her former colonizer, and they were quiet. Spain looked like he was contemplating his answers, then, slowly, he opened his mouth to answer her.

      “You’ve got all your stuff from me, which explains why everything you see here reminds you of way back when you were still living under this roof.” the Spaniard said and he made a pretty good point. Her culture resembled his, at least in some parts of it. She had been under him for quite a while. “Well, as they say, make yourself at home.”

      Maria was holding back her tears. Spain looked at her as if to say, “Welcome back home, hija.”