Anticlimax

"Today was the last day of my writing class. When the class was over, the professor asked me to stay behind for a few minutes."

"Now that everyone has left, I want you to have this," he said.

He opened a briefcase, and my eyes got wide.

"If you accept this, you can't change your mind later."

"Alright."

I closed the thick, leather briefcase and rolled it onto its side gingerly. I picked it up and carried it to my car as inconspicuously as I could, which wasn't very. Just a few feet outside of the door, I was stopped by a security guard, a burly man whose dusty grey uniform barely fit.

"What'cha got there?" He spoke in a drawl.

I gave my best impression of a winning smile. "Spare parts from physics. I'm going to make a hair dryer!" I made a show of tossing my hair over my shoulder, and almost grimaced at the glimpse of heat-damaged ends, but I knew I couldn't let the act fall just yet. "Wanna see? They're just heavy, is all." I shifted it to my other hand for show, even though it barely weighed any more than if the briefcase were empty.

"Well, should I take it for you?" He offered his hand. I shook my head "no". His lip protruded slightly, but he didn't say anything.

"So, is there anything I can do for you, sir? I really should be going. My dog might be worried."

He let out a slight chuckle and waved me away. A sigh escaped my lips just as I made it out of earshot range. My converse scraped against the concrete as I finished the walk to my car.

I opened the hatchback of my Civic, and turned the briefcase slowly back onto its side. I undid the zipper, just to be sure I saw it right the first time, and lifted the top slowly. Chirps met my ears as my eyes met yellow fluff.

A whole dozen of ducklings.

I let them out into my trunk one-by-one and laid out blankets for them to cuddle into. They spread out, nice and cozy, and closed the trunk softly. Driving home, I avoided all bumps and potholes. I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. Before long, I was pulling into the driveway at my parents' house.

There were three cars in the driveway. I had anticipated zero.

All I had to do was get them into my room, right? Except my room was on the second floor, and guessing by the cars, my relatives were visiting and most likely just beyond the hallway. I had no chance. I decided that I'd have to take them in one-at-a-time. They won't make noise, right?

With the first duck, wrapped in an old jacket of mine, I stepped inside the front door. My brother bumped into me, and the duck started making noises. I pulled him out the door before my parents could hear.

"Jonathan. I need your help."

"What?"

��ѧ�>

"I don't know how to be a duck smuggler."