Chapter I

Chapter I: Now or never?

Things were pretty simple. It was either now, or never. No matter how anxious I was, 'never' was out of discussion. I knew why I had to do it, and when I had to do it. Now. Now was my time to change things, to find the balance I kept looking for, and most importantly to bring my brother back. This robbery had to happen no matter how miserable I felt inside. After all, I didn't plan on killing anybody. It was just the bearer bonds I needed. I took a deep breath, and watched the bank from afar. My car was pretty noticeable but at least was fast. Exactly what I needed for this job.

It wasn't the first time I robbed a place, but definitely the first time I chose a highly secured place. My biggest gig. I had everything noted down, starting with something as basic as their schedule, and ending with every case scenario that could possibly happen. This place was the definition of monotony.

I took one more look at the entrance before getting myself ready, when I saw two business men entering the place. I narrowed my brows and checked my watch. Five minutes before the closing time. That wasn't supposed to happen. My timing was planned so that I could avoid mixing more people into this mess of a cake. Well, it was what it was. No turning back.

I grabbed my gym bag, and revolver. I stepped out of my car, putting the sunglasses I had on my head over my eyes. I needed to keep a low profile, or something similar to it. With every step closer to the entrance my stomach sank. I could feel the gun slowly slipping through my already sweating palms.

Nothing seemed wrong, or suspicious around. The streets were busy, full with unbothered people minding their own business. Most of them were in a hurry to get home, after a shitty day at their 9 to 5 job. Well, that was a life I surely hoped to avoid at all costs. "Girls, they wanna have fun." I muttered to myself, slightly smiling. There was no point in overthinking it. "Go in, get the money, get out, drive away".

Without waiting any longer, I took a deep breath and stormed inside the building with the gun in my right hand pointing at whoever was going to be in front of me. "Everyone, dow-" I managed to say before I realized that everyone was already down on their knees, and tied. My hand was shaking around the gun. I looked at them in confusion, thinking that maybe the Universe was playing a prank on me.

Everyone stared back at me, bewilderment written all over their faces. An old lady stood in a corner rocking herself back and forth, muttering something. She looked like she was about to summon Satan. Well, I couldn't lie, I was just as surprised as they were. I started walking around the place to implement the plan I worked so much on. The vault was there, waiting for me. I stepped carefully towards it as if I walked on mined ground. I held the gun tight, just in case. Things were pretty fishy just as they were.

A shiver went down my spine as a cold metallic thing was pressed against the back of my neck. I stopped walking, standing still for a moment. Rule number one, never let them know what your next move will be. I turned around as fast as I could, crouching and extending one leg so I could put the person down. The gun he held dropped on the floor, my guy only losing his balance a little.

"Woah, easy there Romanoff." He said. The guy looked kind of familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I tried to point my revolver at him with an unhinged confidence, but my thoughts and all the doubts came over me. I was shaking a little, but kept the eye contact. The sunglasses really helped me.

It bugged me that I saw this dude somewhere, but had no idea where. My brain was spiraling like it was trying to warn me, or raise awareness of something. It always happened in the worst situations.

"Step away from the gun." I finally found some words. He didn't move. "Come on big guy, don't make me ask twice." The guy smiled at me but it didn't reach his eyes. I lowered my sunglasses to see him better. That was the moment when I've realized two important things: