Chapter 48 - Heroes and Traitors

Gryffindor's Victory lasted for several weeks as November rolled out and December arrived. Those who couldn't understand why Harry was zooming around in the wrong direction looking for the snitch, soon realised why. Carter was the most hated student in Gryffindor because they felt betrayed by him and other houses didn't want to be associated with a traitor.

Harry would have felt sorry for him if he didn't lash out at anyone who made a comment about him. Carter took to his defence and said that he was being falsely accused of sabotage even though there were several witnesses who saw him send out a flash of gold onto the pitch.

"Tell me again how you stopped him sabotaging the game." Ron told Hermione at breakfast the next day. It was the most talked about topic since the battle at Hogwarts.

Hermione sighed and repeated the story. Ever since the match ended people had bombarded her to recall the story. Ron was so impressed that he had his arm locked around her all night.

"As I already said, I suspected something was interfering with the game. Injuries like this is unusual for any game. At first I suspected it to be-" she lowered her Voice and continued "-Salem witchcraft and hadn't considered Carter at all, but when Harry went shooting off into the wrong direction I spotted Carter pointing his wand at the direction Harry was headed. That's when I knew....."

"That slimy git had the nerve to mess with us!" Ron said stabbing his potatos with his fork.

"Atleast McGonagal gave him detention and banned him for ever being on the team, I don't think anyone can trust him after his." Harry added.

Inspite of the entire school giving him a cold shoulder, Carter managed to keep one friend with whom he spent most evenings with in the common room.

"Terrence of all people." Ron said in disgust watching Terrence and Carter walk out of the great hall together.

"I'm not really surprised." Hermione said from behind her defence against the dark arts book. Harry and Ron turned to her in surprise.

"Care to share your theory?" Ron asked.

"Well..." Hermione said putting down the book. "Carter hates Harry and we know Terence is somehow related to Ron's fanmail which is nothing but trouble and since the two of you are friends, they have something in common which they hate."

Harry and Ron looked at each other. They didn't really think about it this way but it surely made sense.

Soon deep snow had covered the grounds of Hogwarts. Harry Ron and Hermione battled through the thick snow to the edge of the forest where Hagrid stood waiting for his students to arrive.

"Hello there!" Hagrid called to them waving one hand while the other was in a barrel.

"What have you got for us today, Hagrid?" Harry asked as they arrived.

"Squids!" Hagrid said happily. The class looked at each other, unimpressed.

"Er... squids?" Ron asked, confused.

"These aren't your average muggle squids, Ron." Hagrid said carefully fishing out out from the barrel and holding it up for the class to see.

The squids looked a lot like muggle squids except that it was a subtle shade of purple and seemed to glow a bit.

"These creatures have what is called a 'bottomless pit'" Hagrid explained "they can eat things several times their size and still not change their form."