One

(___)= Name

*

They say friends come and go. Even though it's a horrible thing to think about, it really is true. No matter how much you want to deny it, it's fact. Fights, relationships, and moving are all responsible for ending friendships.

But usually, there was one friend who stuck around no matter what. For me, that friend was Ethan.

I walked up the sidewalk to the familiar house, knocking on the door. It opened, revealing a familiar face.

"Good morning, Mr. Nestor." I joked.

Ethan rolled his eyes and shut his door behind himself. He stared at my sad expression then sighed, doing a horrible Irish accent. "Top of the morning to ya, (___). Shall we proceed with our daily commute to work?"

I giggled and interlocked our arms. "We shall."

We got a good distance from Ethan's house before he spoke, disconnecting our arms. "How many idiots do you think we're gonna have to help today?"

"Ethan!" I yelled, trying to hold back a laugh. "We can't call our customers idiots!"

"Why not? It's not like we're actually at work right now." He shrugged.

"I guess you're right." I glanced at Ethan.

"You guess?" Ethan snorted, shaking his head. "You know I'm right, like always."

I shoved Ethan playfully and laughed. "Majority of the time you do everything wrong."

"That's not true!" Ethan argued. "Name me one time I did something wrong."

I thought for a moment. "Okay, I've got one! Remember when we went to the bakery and they were doing cookie samples?" Starting to laugh, my voice got louder. Ethan groaned, he knew where I was going with this. "You were all like "hell yeah cookies!" And then you took one-and-and...you had an allergic reaction in the middle of the store!"

Ethan stopped walking and gave me a serious expression. "(___), I almost died that day. It's not something to joke about."

The two of us stared at each other for a long moment, before we both burst out laughing.

"There was also that time where you were doing gymnastics. You did a flip and just fucking slammed into the ground!"

At this point, my stomach was starting to hurt from how much we were laughing.

"Okay, okay! I can't breath!" Ethan managed to let out between laughs.

"Good, I hope you die." I responded, grabbing my stomach and attempting to calm myself down.

"Imagine that." Ethan said, his laughs finally stopping. "Laughing so hard you die."

"Sounds like fun."

"It really doesn't. That shit is now my biggest fear."

I snorted. "That's stupid."

"You've got your biggest fear, and I've got mine." Ethan stuffed his hands in his pockets. He puckered his lips then looked at me. "What even is your biggest fear?"

Shrugging, I opened the door to the store. "Not really sure."

*

"Thantophobia."

"What?"

I chuckled at Ethan's expression. The word almost seemed foreign to him, he didn't understand it at all.

"Thantophobia." I repeated, holding up my phone to the boy besides me. "That's my biggest fear. You asked, I answered."

He read the words on the screen over and over. "Why do you even have that fear? Its not like any one in your life will-"

"You never know." I interrupted.

Rolling his green eyes, he looked to the ground. "I've known you my whole life, (___). We've been best friends for years. Nothing is going to happen."

"That's what they all say, Ethan." I laughed, poking his cheek.

"Shouldn't you be working?" Ethan asked in an attempt to change the topic.

I shook my head. "I'm on break."

"But it's not even your break tim-"

"Who cares? We've got plenty of other workers, they can handle it." I said with an eyeroll.

"You're gonna get fired." Ethan raised his eyebrows.

"Good." I let out, crossing my arms. "Then maybe I'll finally leave this shitty place."

Ethan frowned at my words and shook his head. "Don't leave. I can't live here without my favorite person, I'll die of boredom!"

"Then you can come with me."

Ethan's mouth was gaping open. He stared at me for a long time. "One day maybe. We could go to LA and live in one of those really cool houses with a giant pool-"

"Whoa, slow your roll." I laughed, holding a hand up. "You're making it sound like we're an engaged couple trying to plan our future!"

"Aren't we though?" Ethan questioned with a toothy grin.

"Ethan, no offense, but I would probably marry a cactus before I marry you." I said with a laugh.

"And I would marry Hitler before I marry you." He said back.

I made a fake hurt face, covering my heart with my hand. "Oh my god! Ethan, how could you!"

I started dramatically fake crying, earning an annoyed look from Ethan. "I want to punch you right now."

"Please do." I immediately stopped my fake crying and looked at Ethan. "That way I have an excuse to get out of work."

Ethan ran his fingers through his hair. "You always complain about not having money, but you do this. You confuse me."

"I confuse myself." I shrugged and opened the door to the staff room.

"Aw, you're leaving me?" Ethan pouted.

"I mean, hey, I don't want to get fired. Now do I?" I mocked.

Ethan chuckled, then signalled for me to leave. "Just go."

*

First chapter is complete! Thanks to everyone who showed up on this story! It'll get better I promise!

Question: did you find this fanfic on your own or did you come from Act Your Age?

Don't be a silent reader! Vote and comment please!