«Mirror Worlds - 1»

{Start of Story Four: Mirror Worlds}

The ground rushed past me as we raced down the mountain. Rocks and trees whizzed by, reduced to blurs of color, streaks of gray and green.

"Left!" I shouted, and my mount veered sharply, barely finding a foothold in the steep decline. Our object of pursuit growled, using its powerful hind legs to launch itself over a gap. It landed squarely, continuing its decent towards the village.

"Myrr..." I warned, panting. "We're not going to make it."

The wolf simply gave a sharp growl, using one last push of energy to pick up speed. I pressed myself against her white coat, knowing better than to contradict her steely determination.

The gap approached, growing larger by the second. I held my breath as Myrr kicked off from the ground, sending us soaring. However, the moment of glory lasted for only a second, and the ground rushed at us once more.

We didn't land all too gracefully, to say the least. I clung on for dear life as Myrr's hind leg barely managed to stay on solid ground, sending stones tumbling into the abyss. Once the danger had passed, I exhaled, turning my attention back on the chase.

The creature was still racing down the mountain at inhuman speeds, scarred neck low to the ground, whip-like tail lashing back and forth.

"Steady now," I murmured, reaching for an arrow. Myrr gave a sound of consent, yet did not slow down.

I took a deep breath, fitting the arrow into the string. I pulled back, my muscles tensing, and... let it fly.

The projectile flew straight and true, toward its target, hitting the monster in the leg. It let loose a guttural growl as the limb went limp, causing the beast to stagger. It growled again, trying to shake it out.

Meanwhile Myrr and I neared, slowing to a stop as we placed ourselves between the monster and the houses below.

The hound-like creature bared its fangs, getting ready to strike. Myrr growled, hackles raised, and the other moved back. In that second of hesitance I drew my hunting knife, stabbing the monster in the neck. It collapsed, looking up at me with beady eyes as I knelt beside it, placing a hand on its disheveled coat.

"I will open the gate for you," I hissed in the ancient tongue. Blood streamed from the wound, coating the blades of grass. "And you will leave." The beast could do nothing but stare.

I raised my hands over my head, then brought them down again in a wide arc, my fingers searching for the currents of energy. I linked onto them, then murmured a few more words, expanding the gateway.

"Go," I said gruffly, turning away. The animal blinked once, then vanished, leaving behind only a faint trace of an aura.

As my surge of adrenaline faded, I began to notice the small crowd that had begun to form in a semi-circle around us.

"Is it dead?" asked a young boy with a ragged haircut and a toothy grin, coming up to me, eyes shining.

"No," I replied honestly. "It's been sent to our parallel universe, where it belongs. It simply crossed the dimensional line."

All around, people gave me blank stares.

I sighed. "It's dead," I explained exasperatedly, rolling my eyes.

People instantly brightened, exchanging smiles. A few congratulatory remarks arose, and I waved them off with a forced smile, leading Myrr around the people and behind a building.

"All right," I said, stroking her soft pelt. "Time to go home." Myrr growled in response, a low, comforting rumble.

I whispered the words under my breath, locating the currents once again. Myrr dipped her head and I placed my hand on her, holding her until she faded. As soon as her form disappeared, I felt a wave of exhaustion wash over me, nearly toppling me over. I leaned against a wall for support, trying to stay upright.

I stood there for a little while, taking in deep breaths and letting them out slowly. Once the earth had ceased to rock beneath my feet, I stood up straight, releasing my hold on the brick surface.

I staggered a few steps before finding my center of balance once more and regaining my ability to walk like a normal person. I calmed myself, walking out into the open.

The plaza wasn't empty, but not exactly bustling with people either. I walked past calling vendors and into the residential area. Beyond there, the narrow streets opened up again into a grassy field. I smiled, spying a familiar sight. To the right, a white picket fence separated the grass from a little garden, in which grew various shrubs and those tiny blue flowers I always loved.

I strode up to it, walking in and locking the gate behind me. Up the trail was a smallish cottage, different from the uniformity of all the others. This one was hand built by a person, one who paid attention to minuscule details and out his full effort into his work.

I gave a sharp rap on the door. A few seconds later, it was opened, revealing a man. He was shorter than most, about my height, with graying hair and a wooden cane.

"Ah," he said with his usual welcoming smile. "Elli. Come on in."

I stepped inside.

"Leave the door open," the man called as he walked into the house ahead of me. "I've been meaning to let his place air out for a while."

"Yeah," I said, forming my next sentence in my head. "Uh... could I talk to you, Mr. Gabriel?"

"Of course," he replied, shuffling into the kitchen. "I'll meet you in the study in a minute."

I nodded, hurrying off to the other side of the house. I walked through a carved archway and into a wide room. Bookshelves lined every wall, and papers and thick volumes covered every inch of free space. I skimmed my eyes along the titles, running my fingertips along the spines. I had done so millions of times before, but every time I still felt the same wonder, the spark of curiosity at what all of them held.

"What will it be today, Elli?" asked Mr. Gabriel, startling me by entering the room. He held a mug of tea in his left hand, and the cane in his right. I sat down at the long table in the middle, finding a clear seat. "Another lesson? Questions about the past one?"

"The lessons are going fine," I said with a small smile.

"Great," replied Mr. Gabriel, settling in his usual chair. "Then what brings you here today?"

"Well," I started uncertainly. "It's the... creatures. From the mirror world."

"What about them?"

"The attacks," I continued. "They're becoming more frequent. They're everywhere now. And there aren't enough people to help."

Mr. Gabriel sat back, regarding what I had announced. "This was inevitable," he finally said. "Bound to happen."

"But what are we going to do about it?" I pressed. "And when will it end?"

Mr. Gabriel chuckled, and I scowled, annoyed at how a ease he was. "Clam yourself, Elli," he finally said. "As much as you may wish, I do not have all the answers."

"Stop acting like you don't care," I said, settling back down, arms crossed. "I don't understand how you can be so calm about it! Aren't you worried?!"

"Of course," merely said Mr. Gabriel, providing no further commentary.

"What do I do to stop it," I said, forcing myself to lower my voice. "You have to tell me."

Mr. Gabriel sat back, taking a long sip of his tea. "So uptight," he tutted softly. "I do not know," he said after a pause. "But-" he held up a hand to silence me. "I may know where you can find the information you need."

I said nothing, listening obediently. Mr. Gabriel stood up, leaning on his cane as he walked over to the nearest bookshelf and selected one with a worn, leather spine. Then he sat back down, opening up to a bookmarked page.

"Here," he said in a low voice, pointing to a faded illustration. "This is where you must go."