Ch.1 The World at its End

"And... that's the last of it." Harris announced, tearing off his goggles.

Spyder, who was spinning around in an office chair, stopped to look at Harris with his hands together. He gestured to Harris, "Yes, but did you get all of it?"

Harris gave him an irked looked, "Yes," He stressed the word, "I got all of it. The ooze is, as of now, officially gone from beneath the school. They should be able to start reconstruction any day now."

"That's great," Mark said, hopping off the lab table.

"Only you would be excited about school," Spyder stated before taking note of Harris, "Never mind, I take it back. Only you and Harris would be excited for school. For completely different reasons, of course."

Ryan, who had been listening to the conversation with his head in his hands, looked up briefly only to put his head back down.

Mark quirked an eyebrow at his brother before looking to Harris, who shrugged, and then Spyder, who gave a 'Hey don't look at me, I don't know either' look.

Mark squinted at his brother, going up to him and poking him in the shoulder.

Ryan didn't respond.

He poked him again, this time more forcefully.

Ryan's body moved, but still, he said nothing.

Mark poked him once more, this time with even more force than the last.

Ryan jumped in surprise, going as far as to fall off of the lab table in the process.

"Wow," Spyder stated simply, "That's was impressive."

Ryan glared at him from his position on the floor before wincing and holding his head, "Do you guys feel that?"

The other three looked between Ryan and each other, frowning. Harris shrugged again, Spyder made a face, and Mark rolled his eyes up to the ceiling with a sigh before looking back at his brother.

With a huff, Mark made his way over to Ryan. He thrusted a hand in Ryan's general direction. Ryan stared at it before brushing away and attempting to push himself up.

'Attempting' because the second he got an inch off the floor he collapsed back down, looking dazed.

He looked from Spyder to Harris to Mark, the same lost look on his features, "Wha-?"

Harris was the first to act, moving over to Ryan and grabbing his arm as he helped Ryan begin to stand.

Mark caught on, moving to Ryan's other side.

Spyder jumped up as well, standing behind Ryan as a last defense between Ryan and the ground.

Together, the four of them made their way over to the lab table.

Once Ryan was situated, Spyder and Mark backed up so Harris could scan him.

"I've picked up on some abnormal brain activity. It could be nothing..." Harris trailed off, turning to Mark and Spyder, "But it could be something."

"Well..." Mark began, "What do you think it is?"

On the lab table, Ryan groaned, his eyes clenched shut as he winced. Beads of sweat gathered in his brow as for five agonizing minutes he stayed in that position, completely oblivious to the scurrying of his brother and friends as they attempted to cool his rapidly rising temperature.