persistence.

i hummed softly as i fixed my good friend future a drink before gently sliding it over to him. my shift was coming to an end, and the population of the bar had thinned out until only he remained - not that it was all that crowded in the first place. slow night.

"so," he began after a long sip, "i'm hostin' a battle in a lil' bit." he wore this mischevious look on his face that unnerved me, even though i had seen it before.

"as is your job," i shot back sarcastically before huffing and cleaning the cups that had been left strewn along the counter.

he chuckled deeply. "you gotta come."

his proposal didn't catch me off guard. he had been attempting time and time again to get me to show up to one of the rap battles held at the shelter. i'd rejected his each and every request, not being the best with crowds unless i was at a rock concert or something similar. i would be out of my element. on this ocassion, however, i had nowhere else to go. now that i'd thought about it, my mother seemed particularly determined for me to stay out. i doubted that she'd welcome me with open arms by the end of the night - who knows how long it would take for her to cool off. i was hopelessly backed into a corner.

"y'know.." i trailed off, noticing the usual disappointment in his eyes that came with the expectation of being turned down once more.

"..fine," i finished quietly.

he nearly fell out of his seat. "for real?!" he exclaimed, grinning widely and earning a small smile from me due to his excitement.

"mhm," i grumbled as i finished up my duties, twirling some keys around my finger as i had been instructed to lock up. when i was standing near the doorway, having gathered my things, i turned to him and smirked. "you coming?"

"hell yeah," he mumbled, chugging the remains of his refreshment before following close behind me as i swung the entrance open, plunging both of us into the cool, crisp air. i was grateful for my leather jacket.

"you won't regret your decision, jinx, i promise," he assured eagerly as he enthusiastically stepped by my side. my actual name was jade, but since he had a nickname, i supposed that i may as well have one, too. he continued. "it's real hype. just pure, raw competition. plus.." there was that look again. "..i gotta homie that i think'll like you."

my own steps became heavier as i grew irritated. "that's what this is about? you're trying to set me up?" i snapped.

"nah, nah!" he quickly and nervously replied. "it's all 'bout the battle, i just..i just think he might dig the whole punk chick thing you got goin' on. imma introduce y'all, but i ain't gonna interfere with nothin'."

after a moment, i calmed down, if only slightly. "who is this mysterious 'homie' of yours, anyway?" i questioned gruffly, my breath visible against the darkening cityscape.

"eminem," he stated simply, seemingly holding back laughter.

"like the candy?" i teased.

"it's a play on his initials. if you wanna know his real name, you gon' have to ask him," he declared smugly.

i rolled my hazel eyes, not honoring his smitten tone with a response until we reached our desination. "does he happen to be one of the competitors?" i pried, tilting my head.

all i got was a curt, "you'll see."