stability.

"still can't believe this all you brought."

future's worrisome voice was tinged with a scolding sort of irritation as he looked over my guitar within its case and my backpack filled with clothes, which were laying on his run-down navy blue couch. he didn't comment on my meager supplies earlier, given he had no idea that they were what i intended to live on for as long as i had to. i focused on the floor.

"you gotta understand, she was acting fuckin' crazy - i thought she'd let me back in come morning, but.."
i trailed off, gulping. i didn't have to clarify who "she" was to him after all of the ranting and venting i'd done about my mother since we met. he'd received quite the earful, but was always willing to listen.

he softened. "nah, i get it. s'why i took it upon my thoughtful self to get you this shit." he dug into his pockets, and after a moment revealed a toothbrush still in its package and a small comb. "i don't even know if you comb your hair, it's so short," he remarked, "just thought i'd see." he grinned warmly.

my face lit up with a wide smile, and i instantly embraced him in a tight hug, nearly causing him to drop what he was holding as his eyes widened.
"girl..you..gon'..kill..me!" he managed to choke out. reluctantly, i released him from my death grip and softly patted the side of his face. "sorry," i chirped, although my tone conveyed that i certainly wasn't. even a gesture as small and common-sense driven as this reminded me that he cared.

--

"oh my god, they killed kenny!"

i contently stuffed yet another barbecue chip into my mouth, my gaze intently locked on the dusty screen of future's tv. we decided that after i took a much needed shower, remembering to wash my hair in freezing cold water, it would be a good idea to relax and watch some south park. my entertainment was interrupted by his voice coming from my immediate left.

"so, you an' em hittin' it off?" he queried, smirking and reaching his hand into the family size bag between us. i turned my head to him and rolled my eyes for what felt like the hundreth time.

"i guess," i mumbled through a mouthful before swallowing and imposingly pointing at him. "if you say 'i told you so', i'll gladly go back to sleeping on that frigid ass bench," i warned, a tint of humor lacing my statement. he chuckled, making the couch sway slightly as he shifted to get more comfortable. during those seconds of silence, my mind wandered.

"where does he live?" i asked cautiously, my eyes flickering up and down his face as if it held the answer. he tilted his head in confusion.

"thought you woulda heard it durin' the battle. lyckety brought it up over an' fuckin' over."

what was i supposed to say? 'oh, sorry, i was too busy making googly eyes at the guy you determinedly set me up with, proving further that you were right, great one.' hell no.

my twisted and perplexed expression was enough to give it away, however. he snickered. "aw, i see. you was distracted," he noted smugly before leaning in closer, as if he were about to inform me of classified nuclear launch codes.

"em would kill me if he found out i told you this, but.." he paused, his tone a hushed whisper. "he shacks up in that ol' trailer park down there," he finished, gesturing to the corner of the walls to our right. i wondered why it was such a sensitive subject. it certainly didn't change who he was, that was for sure. this raised another question.

"then why would his landlord know, or even care, if i stayed with him, exactly?" i demanded, narrowing my eyes.

he shook his head. "damn, i gotta tell you now," he remarked, smacking the palm of his hand across the surface of his forehead and cursing himself for digging his own grave. "it ain't no landlord i was worried about. it's his mama."

"oh." i supposed that was a more legitimate reason to be embarrassed, but it wouldn't drive me away. rather than provide any thoughts on it, i mocked his quiet voice. "why're you whispering?"

future slowly and dramatically waved his arms in a wide circle that encapsulated the entire room, raising them a bit to avoid swinging into my head. "he hears everythin'."

i gawked at him in bewilderment of how serious he was acting, prompting him to allow a half smile. this was followed by a giggle from me, and it didn't take long for the both of us to be enraptured by a tear-inducing fit of laughter.