Chapter 18

It was later that night after Navvy and I talked for a while, I went back to bed. I was startled awake when someone put their hand over mouth. I was squinting trying to see who it was, but it was too dark, all I could see was the outline of the person. "Faith, it's me, Cash," He said, and moved his hand. "What'd you do that for?" I asked, sitting up. "I need your help, but I don't want anyone else to know 'cause I think Navvy and Mason might try and kill me if they knew." Cash told me. "Knew what?" I asked. "I need your help to get something from someone and they won't be too happy about it, it is going to be a little risky and I know that no one else would do it if they knew what it was. I promise nothing will happen to you, I just need your help," He explained. "Cash calm down," I smiled. "I would help you even if it meant certain death, if you really needed my help that badly." I told him. "Why would you do that for me?" He asked. "Because you are like a brother, and there is nothing I wouldn't do for you." I said. "I will remember that," He joked. "Don't get any bright ideas," I pointed my finger at him, but he probably couldn't see, it was too dark.

I had brought all my stuff from Ruth and Harold's house over to the Thorton's and just put it next to the couch. I put on some real clothes and Cash and I headed out. "What is it exactly, that we are doing?" I asked as we walked down the street. The road was all wet, so I guessed it had rained earlier in the night and all the street lights where on so it made the road real bright. "We need to go get a file that has records in it," He told me and I stopped where I was. "Wait we are going to go and steel a file?... What is in it?" I asked. "You can't tell Mason, but I found out a while ago that me and Mason were taken." "What do you mean taken?" I asked, suddenly real curious. "When I was two and Mason was one, we got kidnaped and the people that took us have been pretending to be our parents this whole time. So I need the file on our birth parents, but I don't want Mason to know until I find them and talk to them about it." Cash explained. "Ok, I'm back in, let's go."

We walked down the road and up a real big hill to get to a huge house. "Wait is this somebody's house?" I asked. "Yea, some twenty-year-old guys own the place." Cash said. "Why do they have the file?" I asked. "I was going to go get this file from the court house, but one night while you, Mason and Dylan where in Oklahoma they stole all the files and no one else really knows." Cash told me. "Why do they want the files?" I asked. "You are just full of questions aren't you," He smiled. "They want them for power, if they know things about people then they have power over them, they could make people have to give them money, or they could black mail people with secrets from those files." He answered.

We walked up to the house and looked to see if the door was unlocked. "It's locked, great," Cash said to himself. "I got this," I stepped in front of the door and took out my blade. I slid it between the door frame and the door, I pushed the lock bar in and opened the door. "How did you know how to do that?" He asked. "I have my secrets," I smiled and walked in. "So where is this file that we are looking for?" I asked. "In a desk drawer or a filing cabinet, so we just need to find a desk." He said matter of factly. "How do you know?" I asked. "I also have secrets," He joked, and I just shook my head.

We went room to room trying to find a desk or a filing cabinet. We went in the kitchen and looked around then we went into three other rooms and looked through two desks and one filing cabinet, but couldn't find the file we needed. We got to a room that had a desk and a filing cabinet. "I bet it is in here," Cash said heading for the door to the room. We went in and the desk was covered in papers. "I'll check the filing cabinet." I said opening one of the drawers. "A-B-C-D-E," I thought out loud. "F here we go let's see, Farnsworth, Fenns, Fox, here we go." I whispered quiet enough that I don't think he heard me. He was rummaging through drawer on the desk. I pulled out the folder that was labeled Fox, and looked inside, Cash M. Fox and Mason O. Fox, where the first words that I saw on the top of the papers.