chapter 4

Cherry was sitting at the dinner table and looking to the photograph she had of Wendy, studying it.

"Mom..." Cherry looked up to Michelle as she was getting their cups. "Do you recognize this little girl?" she handed the photograph of Wendy to her mother.

"Oh, yes, dear, that's Wendy; she's such a sweet witchling." Michelle smiled.

"I knew she looked like Aunt Barb!" Cherry remarked. "Wait... Does that mean Gert, Fanny, and Gabby are my aunts too?"

"Oh, no, dear," Michelle shook her head. "Those are your Uncle Bob's sisters."

"Ah..." Cherry gave a nod then. "Drell says we have to help her against Desmond Spellman, we're gonna leave in a few hours since Desmond has Sarah Ravencroft's spell book."

"What?!" Michelle asked. "How'd he get it?"

"I really don't know..." Cherry said. "I locked it up in my closet and put it in a spot no one would find it, but... He just did somehow while Atticus was destroying Himcules! Mom, I'm scared..." she then pouted.

"You two can handle anything together." Michelle assured her.

"It's my life, Mom, it's so crazy..." Cherry sighed.

"I had a tough life too..." Michelle soothed. "I was a mortal raised by a witch... I was picked on by a lot of kids when I was growing up. A lot of kids picked on me since I didn't have any powers and they made fun of my parents for adopting me."

"Mom, I never knew that..." Cherry frowned.

"Well, now you know." Michelle said.

"How bad was it?" Cherry frowned.

"The worst..." Michelle sighed. "I swear, I was pranked nearly every day... Especially from boys... So I beat them up."

"Mom!" Cherry gaped.

"They asked for it." Michelle said.

"You did not..." Cherry put her hand to her face.

"You can ask Grandma and my elementary school principal." Michelle had a rather mischievous smirk.

"Great... I got an adorable little cousin who's a witch..." Cherry mumbled. "As if my life couldn't get anymore ridiculous."

"I know." Michelle said.

"Oh, I hope you'll be okay, Wendy..." Cherry whispered distantly.

"I'm sure she'll be fine." Michelle said.

Cherry sighed.

"Never mind that, whatya say we welcome your dad after a hard day of work with a meal, hmm?" Michelle smiled.

"A surprise?" Cherry shrugged. "Okay."

Michelle and Cherry then cooked dinner together.

Thorn was off of a tour break with her fellow Hex Girls and she came over to look after Atticus with her mother also around since she had been found and was now back into the family, happily reunited. Thorn was practicing her guitar in the guest room as she hummed a song to herself.

"What's that song you're humming, Sally?" Delilah asked.

"Just a new song, trying to piece it together, Mom." Thorn smiled at her long-lost mother.

"How does it go?" Delilah curiously asked.

"I don't have words yet, trying to think up some stuff..." Thorn shrugged.

"Honey, you're on vacation, why don't you give your music a break?" Delilah suggested.

"I guess a little break could help." Thorn smiled.