Chapter 20

Jack P.O.V

When I awoke, the sky was turning dark and the store was empty. I shook off the pain from my split lip and groaned, touching a growing bump on my head. Who was that man...? He had said I knew him but... I shook my head. I was loyal to Chaos. It didn't matter who he was or who had been to me. I clenched my jaw, wondering how made the boss would be when I told him I'd failed to kill the girl. I'd been so close! Her ghost had been in my hands and I easily could've crushed her. I licked my split lip and pulled out my radio.

"Chaos... I've failed."

The radio sputtered, giving me static before a low voice said, "Come back to headquarters and receive punishment."

I nodded. "Copy."

Madalyn P.O.V

I typed ferociously on Stellar's laptop and suddenly pinpointed a location. I cheered wildly to the wind that was rushing past my face. I tapped on the pickups back window. Alex rolled it down and turned from the road to look at me.

"What's up?"

I smiled, proudly. "I found out where we're going. I'm sending the location to the truck gps now."

He looked at the dashboard screen and grinned as a location popped up. "Good work, mad!"

"Don't call me that." I frowned.

Maven squeezed my shoulder. "We're almost to Jack."

"I know..." I sighed. "And I might be able to free someone else I care about."

Maven cocked her head. "And who would that be?"

I opened my mouth to answer when the truck rolled to a stop. Alex got out, slamming the door and kicked a tire.

I laughed and asked, "What's wrong?"

"We're out of gas." He sighed. "I think we'll have to walk from here."

I checked the laptop. "Just as well, we're close enough to the base that they'd spot us if we'd been in a pickup."

Trevor got out of the truck, holding a bag of Doritos. "What's the plan?"

"We need to head in..." I pointed towards the north. "That way. There should be a big warehouse around here somewhere, and that'll be it."

Alex stretched. "Let's get going."

We walked for hours it seemed. But when I checked my watch, it'd only been a few minutes. I groaned, wishing I could just wake up and be back home and the whole apocalypse would just be a nightmare. I found myself getting lost in the past... hanging out with London and the boys at a yogurt shop. Talking to my sister about Jack and wishing we were together. My mom, brushing my long brown hair and telling me about when she was young. Hacking with my dad, listening to him tell me about networking and computer software. He'd taught me how to program my very first computer, I'd been about 13 at the time. I remembered those rainy nights, doing homework at our small dining room table. I remembered having a cold and my mom wrapping me in a blanket and reading stories to me. And the time I saw the ocean for the first time in California when I was 10. If only I had my family back.... if only this wasn't real... if only Jack was back... the real Jack. He'd make everything better.

I was lost in memories when I felt strong arms wrap around me. I looked up, startled, to see Alex. He looked concerned and I realized there were hot tears spilling down my cheeks and leaving streaks where the dirt had been. Alex hugged me and whispered, "I swear I'll get us out of this. I swear it."

"No!" I said, pulling away. "Don't promise anything. We have no idea what's about to happen."

"Hey guys..." Trevor coughed. "We're here."