Chapter 6 - Vile Pretence

Chapter 6 – Vile Pretence

As the morning drew on, Cecilia grew all the more anxious concerning the proposal of her appointment as Belle's lady's maid. She had skillfully prepared breakfast for the Alfheim Ambassador, who had sent word to the kitchen, specifically naming Cecilia to attend to her for the day.

The tea, brewed exactly three minutes per specification, was the perfect temperature when Cecilia loaded the items onto a solid silver tray and moved with haste up the back stairs to the main hallway on the fourth floor.

Outside Belle's door, she balanced the tray in one hand and tapped softly.

"Enter." Belle's faint voice held impatience.

Cecilia stepped inside the room and spied the beautiful elf outside on the veranda. Seated on a small iron chair at a round table, Belle barely glanced up from the book in her hand. The white robe she wore over her nightgown was the finest silk, and her long, glowing hair lay loose, cascading down over one shoulder.

The breeze, carrying with it the scent of grass and flowers, blew across the balcony railing. Cecilia eyed the breathtaking view of the east garden. Although the weather was turning cool, the garden had evergreen shrubs that kept it lush and beautiful. From the garden wall looking south, she could see the fiery river below. She imagined how beautiful it would be to watch the sun peek over mountains each day.

Cecilia averted her gaze to the ground and set the tray on the small table. "Your breakfast, my lady."

"So I see. I'm not really hungry this morning." Belle put down her book and picked up a piece of toast. "You're the new maid?" Her tone held challenge.

Cecilia curtsied. "I'm Cecilia, the new kitchen maid, Lady Lios-Alf. I arrived the other night."

Belle's gaze swept over her. "The All-Father spoke quite highly of you."

Cecilia smiled and nodded. "The King is a most gracious man."

Belle looked down at the tray. "I suppose I must eat. I have an appointment with Ambassadors of the Realms." Her lip curled. "It seems my grandfather has found a match for me that will please the Æsir. I can't abide the company, but my father insists."

Cecilia poured tea into a nearly translucent cup. "Was he at the party? I'm not sure which gentleman he was."

"He was the tall Vanir man with the red face. And he was always perspiring." Belle wrinkled her nose.

Cecilia couldn't place him. "He's looking for a wife?" She took the cover off the food plate, and then spread a small square of fine linen on Belle's lap.

Belle put her book face down on the table. "Unfortunately, my grandfather is determined that this man shall be my husband."

Cecilia couldn't imagine being pressured to marry someone. Her mother had always allowed her to make her own decisions. She barely suppressed a shudder at the thought of sharing a bed with someone she didn't love. Heat raced to her cheeks.

"I'd like some tea this afternoon. You may bring it up before the banquet."

Cecilia hesitated. "I'll be sure to tell Runa. She'll make sure it's here."

"I'm instructing you to bring it." Belle's eyes turned upon her fiercely.

"I'll try, Lady Lios-Alf, but Runa directs my work." Cecilia bit her lip.

When Belle glowered, Cecilia gulped and retreated to the bedroom to pick up the disaster of discarded dresses and undergarments.

A shadow blocked the sunshine, and Cecilia turned to see Belle in the doorway. "Did you need something, my lady?"