Family Business

I didn't go to class afterwards, I left the school. Trying to calm down from the sudden accusations from a student.

I didn't care about the endless amount of calls my mother was making, or if she got my father involved. He could barely stomach the thought of her.

I sat at a cafe not too far from the school, trying to calm down from my previous anger. Luckily because it was early in the morning and the start of class no one I would know would find out I skipped, its not like anyone would care anyways.

I couldn't face any of the people I knew. who could've started such a rumour? Psychotic behaviour? potential danger to students?

The day was long and tiring, I walked back home, almost knowing for a fact that my father would've found out about most of what happened at school today.

I set my back against the elevator, sighing and rubbing my temples roughly, exhaling the stress that took over me not to long ago. once the doors open I instantly see the disapproving look from my mother down the tedious hallway.

I let out another sigh as I started walking towards her.

"Farkle, I think we need to discuss this further. You just have to listen to me" Mother tried to reason, all I heard was the accusations and sly tone of voice that tried to sway me, I guess it's a good thing I know all her tactics to win me over.

"I just want to talk to dad, could I at least do that?" I ask, not caring in the slightest if my tone was harsh. She looked at me a little confused until she frowned, no words coming out.

I finally let out calm sigh before opening the door and walking towards the kitchen, where my father was sitting.

Once I walked inside he instantly wrapped me in a hug.

"Thank god. Farkle you're okay I thought something happened to you when I heard you ran off from school" Dad smiled, finally letting me go.

I hated what was to come next, but it had to happen. Dad looked up at my mother, eyes disappointed and shattered.

"Jennifer." My father said surprising calmly. Her face didn't change from the form it took before, she didn't miss him, at all.

"Stuart, we need to discuss Farkle's behaviour at school." She stated, dad just nodded and guided me and mother to the lounge room.

We all sat down, frankly, I wasn't excited to what was to come, but, I know it had to.

"Farkle has been seen as a danger at school" she started, father just nodded, looking at me briefly.

"I think it may be due to stress at home. And I have a proposition for you. Let me take Farkle back to California and you don't ever have to deal with me again." Mother raised an eyebrow. I could tell she planned this out from the moment she heard the news. She already thought she won.

Dad held a laugh back. "I understand that a student believes he's psychotic, but it's high school. When I'm home Farkle and I get along greatly, if anything it's stress from school. Barely any reason to take the boy back with you because of something juvenile like being seen as a danger by one student." Father smiled. It made me happy that seeing her didn't make him loose his self-esteem and let me go without a second thought.

I'm proud that my father now can't be bullied by my mother anymore and has grown stronger through the divorce.

"Stuart, I believe that -" mother was cut off as dad stood.

"Listen here Jennifer, Farkle is fine, I will do what ever I have to, to make him happy, you being here is bringing down his self worth so I do believe it's about time you left my house and me and my son alone." Father said sternly. To say I was shocked would be a little bit of an understatement because when it came to my mother, dad has never been able to stand up for himself.

Mother just glared at dad, shaking her head. "Farkle is in the wrong care, you will soon find out how bad of a father you are." She hissed as she walked away.

The lack of her presence allowed me to finally breathe, I looked up at dad. The words have already begun to sink in.

"Dad" I called, he looked at me, "you're a great father, you do your best for me and look out for me whenever you can." I smile, he smiled back and ruffled my hair, hugging me before whispering a thank you.

...

With the events of yesterday I thought I could finally look past the thoughts of skipping school. I knew my mother was still in New York and would try to persuade me to come back and live with her and her fiance but the fact I finally thought that life could go a little more smoothly, made me feel confident.

Isadora ran up to me, "Farkle. What happened yesterday?" She asks. I sigh.

"Nothing, I just needed time to myself... Isadora" I frown, looking at my friend.

"Farkle, is there something you need to tell me?" She raises an eyebrow. I can't keep things from someone I see as a best friend, I would feel like I lied just for selfish reasons, what kind of friend would I be then?

"I can't do the experiment anymore. I can't fall in love again" I state. The bell ssuddenly rings as I start walking away from the brunette along with the others rushing to class.

I sit down. Isadora sitting beside me with her eyebrows frowned as she looks at me.

"Farkle, why?" I sighed again, looking at the back of Maya's head, hopefully letting her know that I couldn't fall in love again because of a major reason that's been bringing my self esteem down for the last couple of months.

She didn't seem to get the hint so I turned around and whispered "Maya" as soon as the name left my lips my friends face fell.

"No, you know you'll be lonely and upset, Farkle, you have to move on, seeing you hung up on such an emotion is awful to watch." Isadora whispered back, her voice still quite monotone.

I ignored her, luckily for me class started not too soon after.

The day continued, I felt lighter, felt happier than I've been in a long time. But there was only one thing left on my mind.

Who reported me?

...

I apologise for the months wait. Longer than it should've been but lifes been hectic and I've had assignments and tests I've needed to study.

Thank you EmmytheBest and ramos13xd for soaring past the first book and voting on every chapter you've read so far, it's appreciated and helped me update this faster. So here's an unexpected shout out.

Lately I've been thinking of the plot of this story and where I want it to go. With the amount I want to fit in. I've decided to write a third book after this as I only plan on doing around 30 chapters a book.

So thanks for making it this far and following this story, it means a lot.