Chapter One

Valerie Tulle had no idea where she was going, but she knew she had to go somewhere far away. Far away from Mystic Falls, from Stefan Salvatore, from everything.

 She stood quietly in the airport, scanning through her options. London was perfect, she decided. She needed somewhere big and crowded where she could blend in, be anonymous. She could decide there what to do with the rest of her eternity.

 Eternity. She hadn't realized until now how big a word it actually was until now, now that she had that long stretch of road ahead of her.

 After she had gotten herself a one-way ticket to London, Valerie sat alone, watching all the people moving around her. Everyone was moving through their own lives: hurrying to catch a flight, hurrying off a flight, greeting or parting with loved ones, or just sitting in the terminal, waiting for a plane to come take them away to their destination, be it business or pleasure. 

 Next to Valerie was a couple with three children. They were all packed, and obviously going on a vacation somewhere. They all looked so excited and happy. That was what hurt her. She'd never really had a family. Sure, there had Lily, but Lily was dead now, and the other heretics were equally gone. She was alone, and she knew it.

 She heard her flight announced, and got up to get on board.

~~~~~~

 London wasn't the same as Valerie remembered it from years ago. It was so modern now, and certainly cleaner than she remembered. And so much more crowded, too. It was such a chore to actually get a flat, and the one she did get wasn't particularly nice. However, it seemed she would have plenty of time on her hands, so she thought perhaps once she did some fixing-up, it would look nicer.

 For the first few days, Valerie just stayed there, in her new flat. She had no job, no friends, noting to do. She started talking to herself, started pacing around the living room. Then she realized there was no point to it. The only way something was going to happen to her would be if she made it happen. The first thing would be to go out and do something. 

~~~~~~

 Valerie went out as the sun began to go down. Even though the city had changed, her feet still seemed to know which directions to walk in. There were still places that felt familiar to her, and she somehow found herself outside a pub she certainly knew she had been to before. She couldn't remember who she had been there with, but figured it must have been the other heretics. So she decided to take a step inside and see if anything happened.