Chapter Four

Valerie got accustomed to working at the tavern faster than she thought she would. After the first few nights, she felt perfectly at home there, and was almost sad that she had to go home once her shifts were over. There was just something about the atmosphere of the place, she supposed; Arthur tried to keep everything and everyone in perfectly good spirits, and it worked.

 "I really don't know how you do it," she said to him on one occasion.

 He shrugged. "Well, I'm a mostly happy person. I like bright, cheery atmospheres. That's what I try to do, and behold, people enjoy it." He smiled. "It's not that difficult, really."

 Valerie and Arthur had renewed their friendship, and felt perfectly at ease talking to each other. Valerie was glad to know someone, and glad that Arthur didn't ask too many questions. She still hadn't told him why exactly she was alone, or anything that had happened back in Virginia. She was ready to put that all behind her and focus on the future, whatever it would be.

~~~~~~

 "There you go," Arthur said, moving the sofa more to the left. "It's a perfect fit."

 "I wouldn't say perfect," Valerie said, inspecting it with crossed arms. "This is a rather small living room."

 "So? It fits, and that's what matters." Arthur glanced around the room. "The place is looking good, Valerie. But are you sure you want to stay here?"

 "What do you mean?" Valerie asked.

 "Well, this isn't the nicest place, is it? And it does get lonely sometimes living on my own. I've got a spare bedroom in the flat above the tavern, but no roommate."

 "Are you...offering to let me live with you?" Valerie asked.

 He shrugged. "I guess so. We'd be roommates, and you wouldn't have to worry about getting into work on time or anything like that, 'cause you'd already be in the same building. What do you think?"

 Valerie thought about saying yes, but she hesitated.

 "I think I should stay here for now," she said. "It's starting to grow on me. And I know how to look after myself."

 "That's rather obvious," Arthur said. "Are you sure you don't want to be roommates? I try to keep the place tidy, and I don't snore. At least I don't think I do." 

 Valerie nodded. "I'm sure. But thank you for the offer. I might still take you up on it sometime."

 "I hope so." Arthur had begun to head for the door, but stopped. "Say, Valerie, instead of opening the tavern tonight, how would you like to take a night off?" 

 "And do what?" Valerie asked. 

 He shrugged. "Well, I thought maybe we could go see a movie or out to the theater. There's always a good Shakespeare play or musical being performed, you know."

 "I didn't think you were a fan of Shakespeare."

 "Well, I'm not, really. But it could be fun."

 Valerie smiled. "Yes, I would like that, Arthur. But I think I should go change if we're going out to the theater," she said, looking down at her plain blouse and jeans. "I'll meet you outside the tavern later, all right?"

 "All right." He smiled back. "Yeah, sure. See you then."

 Valerie kept smiling to herself as she went to go change. She had a date to prepare for.