Chapter 5: Mind Games

Brett's Pov

4 hours earlier, after detention..

"That fucking bítch!" I mumbled not long after Emilie passed by me coming from the classroom. I yanked the bucket from the top of my head and threw it hard against the lockers. The long bang echoed through the now empty school halls.

I was fuming, not only did she probably give me a bruise on my head but ruined my favorite t-shirt. Although I gotta admit that girl has got some guts. This is far from over Emilie Green.

"Dude, come on." Tyler, my closest friend yelled from across the hall. I started walking towards him still pissed as hell.

Once I got closer to him he began to speak once more. "So what are we going to do about her?" He said talking about Emilie.

"Hell if I know!" I say rolling my eyes. Tyler stopped walking and turned towards me with a smirk plastered on his face. I knew what that meant, he had a brilliant idea.

"How about playing a little bit of mind games?" He says still smirking at me. His facial expression had 'you know I'm right' written all over it. And that he was.

I was intrigued. So I urged him to continue where he was going with this.
"I'm listening..." I said, a smirk starting to form on my face as well.

"Convince her into doing something to get her expelled from school. Then you won't have to put up with her once she's gone." He explains to me.

"Perfect."

Better watch your back Emilie cause this is far from over.

Present Time - Still Brett's Pov

As I pull up into her drive way I say "What, no thank you for saving you from freezing?" And flashed my famous smirk just for her.

"You mean thank you for kid napping me and forcing me to ride with you against my will? Yeah thanks Brett." Emilie says sarcastically while rolling her eyes.

"Yeah yeah, get out of my car." I say as I slightly push her towards the car door. She glared at me and then slammed the car door shut. My eyes followed as she walked to her front door.

Not long after I was finally home. I've had an exhausting day. As I walked in the door my step mom was standing there glaring at me.

"Why haven't you been home all day?" She questions me with a glare that could kill.

"Like you actually care." I laugh coldly and brush pass her trying to get to my room. Only to by stopped by Mark.

Great I thought to myself just what I need right now.

"That is no way to be talking to your mother Brett!" He yells, blocking the path to my room.

"Oh I'm sorry mark, am I misunderstanding something or did y'all finally decide you want to be good parents?" I say with my teeth clenched. I can't believe they have the nerve to pretend to care about me when they obviously never did.

My step mom was angry. I could see her face getting boiling red and yet she was speechless. See? I was right.

"We are trying our best..." Mark says as his face softens.

"You call getting drunk and threatening me all the time 'trying your best'? Maybe you should rethink your damn logic!" I shout. I couldn't keep looking at them anymore. They may give me a roof over my head but those people aren't my mom and dad.

Never were and never will be. I stormed out and slammed my room door shut. After I left the living room it wasn't long before I heard them screaming at each other over me.

I'm in a living hell. I thought to myself.

All I knew was I had to get out of here, like right now. So I called Ty since he's always there to help a brother out.

I quickly dialed his number and waited as the phone rang. While holding the phone to my ear, I went over to my bedroom window yanking it open.

I grabbed a small duffle bag and shoved a few pairs of jeans and simple t-shirts inside it. I threw in other necessities and toiletries then placed the bag by my window.

Damn it Tyler answer your phone!

After hanging up I threw my phone in my bag and slid out the window. I made sure to close it back before leaving my house. If I take my car they will notice it's gone so looks like I'm gonna be walking. Good thing tyler doesn't live very far.

It was already dark out but I didn't mind really. The night is so much more peaceful. I continued down the street and soon enough I was at Tyler's house. I went around to the back where his room window is. I didn't want to wake up his parents because they are probably already sleeping.

"Tyler?" I whisper from outside his window while gently knocking on the glass. About five seconds later I saw a dark shadow moving toward the window.

"Brett? Man what are you doing out there, come on" Ty says as soon as he opened the window. He frantically gestured me to hurry inside his room. So I climbed in through the opened window.

He raised his eyebrows in confusion to why I just showed up.

"They were fighting again." I said and he nodded. He knew exactly what I meant. I would always show up here whenever I don't want to deal with them anymore.

"Well you know you're always welcome here." He smiled. I smiled back and dropped my bag beside his bed.

"Sorry for just showing up but you didn't answer your cell." I said as I grabbed a pillow and blanket from his closet.

"It's cool man. My phone died." He left the room right after he said that and showed up a few minutes later with another mattress.

"I was fine with the blanket and pillow." I said feeling bad he had to go and get that mattress.

"Of course not. Take the damn mattress Brett." Tyler said laughing. I nodded and set up a last minute bed pallet.

"Thanks Ty." I said as I laid my head down and tried to fall asleep.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sleep. Tossing and turning all night with way too many thoughts inside my head. Looks like it's gonna be a long night. I sighed deeply.

***********************
Please don't mind any mistakes in this chapter I haven't gone back to edit yet.

Sorry for the short chapter! I didn't want to write too much of Brett's Pov so I could keep him still a bit of a mystery.

Buuuut you got to see more into his personal life.

Why do you think Brett and his parents don't get along?

What kind of ideas does he have to get rid of Emilie?

Thanks so much for reading and make sure to tell me what you think of the chapter!

Xoxo - Morgan