III

"The significant breakthrough came with the isolation of the bulbar cell line, allowing effective genetic re-silencing, without triggering the systematic organ malfunction that had marked earlier attempts. To be clear, this is not another kappa rho inhibitor. It's a cure that restores the health and systematic order to the individual. With the ashby eni cure, it is only a matter of time before all current S.O.S. cases are treated, and future cases prevented. The eni cure is injected directly into the neck, leaving a small coin-like scar, a quick and simple procedure. Once administered, the drug requires a six-hour absorption period before the disease is completely neutralised. After which point, regardless of stage, the patient is restored to normal health. Mass production of the drug is already underway. And shipments are being made available to public clinics immediately. Individuals diagnosed with S.O.S. need not suffer another day. Contact your doctor immediately to receive the ashby eni cure... and rejoin the ranks of equals," the automated voice on the large screen said. Edens breath quickened and her heart sped up. She turned to Silas in fear. He walked off to an area where there was no one to interrupt them.

"We're gonna remember this feeling. We're gonna live every day remembering and we're not gonna feel it. We're not even gonna exist anymore," Eden panicked. Silas put his hands on her shoulder to calm her.

"It's not over. We're not doing that," Silas said.

"So you don't want the cure?" Eden asked.

"No, of course not," Silas said. "Do you?"

"No," She said, her heart rate returning to normal at his soft touch.

"I know people who can help. I'll take you to them later today, alright? Just hold tight and don't panic," Silas assured. Eden nodded.

↢ • ↣

"This is Eden. We want to go to the peninsula," Silas brought her into a small basement and introduced her to a group of men and women. They all gave the pair shocked looked.

"At my old post, I took part in an air patrol. We wouldn't fly directly over the peninsula, but... I could see it from a distance. It's totally overgrown. If anyone actually lives there it's in a completely primitive state," a man, who Silas had told you was named Jonas, said.

"How do we get there?" Silas asked.

"You're seriously considering this?" Jonas asked.

"We've already decided," Silas said.

"You know you'll be on your own out there. There will be no one to look after you," A woman stepped forward and said. Bess.

"Whatever we go through it will be together," Silas stated with a sure nod of his head. He placed his arm over Edens' shoulders and pulled her close. She clung to his shirt.

"I know how you're feeling, but you're not thinking of all the risks," Bess said.

"You know, it's many years ago, I was not much older than you when I got the bug, no one even knew what S.O.S. was back then. and most of them would commit suicide. There was a young man in my living block, I could tell he was a hider, just like me, but no one dared mention it back then. One night, he knocked on my door and told me that he and two others... were going to the peninsula and he wanted me to go with him. Of course, there was no way I was going. I knew they were headed for their deaths," Bess explained.

"Bess," Jonas sighed, sadly, as if he didn't want her to go into this story again.

"Those few months after he left were the loneliest I ever felt. We'd only spoken that one time. More than all the suicides I've seen. It was his death that was the most... unnecessarily wasteful. Such a waste. That was a new feeling for me," Bess finished.

"But you don't know that he died," Silas said.

"What if he didn't?" Eden asked, speaking for the first time.

"I can talk to my old colleague. He was the pilot who took us on the air patrol," Jonas said.

"The whole plan could be traced back to you or to the group. You said interfering was too risky. If you make this decision you know there is no turning back. If you do manage to get out. You can never return," Bess warned.

"Of course," Silas confirmed. The couple didn't ever want to get back in. They just wanted out.

"When you get to the border ask for Oliver, he will fly you," Jonas said.

"What if he gets caught?" Silas asked.

"He won't," Jonas smiled.

"Good luck," Bess said.

"Thank you," Silas said. Eden looked up at him as they left the group in the basement.

"Welling is the closest station to the border. Trains don't go there until the weekend. I checked the schedule. We could leave on Saturday. Three days." Silas said. Eden nodded.

↢ • ↣

"You're shaking," Silas said, hiding behind a tree in his beige work outfit, holding Edens hands in his own.

"So are you," Eden pointed out. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes. Are you?' Silas asked. Eden nodded.

"I got a conception summons," Eden explained, nervous.

"By the time they come looking for you, we'll be gone," Silas assured her.

"My tag is blocked, I won't be able to get on the train. I won't make it through any of the checkpoints," Eden rambled anxiously.

"It's just a summons, right? It's not like they're going to inseminate you," Silas said.

"They'll check my blood. They'll see I have the disease instantly," Eden cried out softly, so no one else would hear her.

"Yeah, but they can't force you to get the cure. I've been diagnosed, no one's forcing me to get it, are they? Besides, the clinics are overwhelmed right now. All that's going to happen is, they'll tell you you've tested positive for S.O.S., and that you should see your doctor immediately. That's it. Then get out of there. Nothing's changed. We're leaving Saturday, 10 o'clock train," Silas confirmed. Eden nodded, her panic to subsiding. You've already missed the whole morning of work. You should get over there right away. I'll come after my shift. Meet me behind the clinic."

"Okay," Eden nodded and headed off.

After her shift was over, she went straight to the doctor's clinic.

"Hello, Eden." The doctor said as she sat in the chair.

"Hello doctor," she replied.

"Lie back for me, please. I'm going to take a sample of your blood, okay?" The doctor stuck a large needle on her arm and waited for the device to show the results

"I have the bug, don't I?" Eden asked.

"Eden, you're at stage four. You'll be taken to get the cure in the D.E.N., you'll be given it sometime tomorrow," the doctor said. Her heart dropped to the floor.

The doctor called in two health and safety workers who grabbed Eden by the arms and dragged her away. She let her head fall.

She saw Silas as she left the building in the custody of the two men. He saw her and began to discreetly follow behind them until he couldn't see them anymore. Tears fell from her eyes as she was taken away but it didn't last long as one of the men injected a serum into her arm and she blacked out soon after.

Word Count: 1302