CHAPTER ONE

The ride was quiet. The only sound interrupting the silence is the radio playing fools inlove by inara george. The fields are open and throw off a boring brown colour mixed with some sort of yellow and orange. Here and there a green tree and a shadow dumbed by the clouds.

A blonde haired women stare out the window infront of her hiding behind sunglasses as she pull her lips together. Next to her lay a younger blonde haired girl back in her seat listening earphones to mind her own music. In the backseat sat the girl's twin brother looking out of the window.

"So what are you two planning to do when we get home?" Kate, the mother of the two started a great conversation to disturb the silence which started to annoy her. She's very well with silence. Like that's part of her life now. When her kids are around, a simple conversation about any possible thing makes her happy, just as long as they don't mention the past.

"Probably just laying around." Her son, Kyle replied with a boring tone in his voice. Every teenager reaches a phase where their body language and expressions give away their view towards the world. He's given up on the happy little five year old boy he was.

They finally made it into town arriving infront of Kate's home. They took out their luggage and went into the house to get back to the old routine after a great holiday at the beach. After they got settled, they stood in the kitchen just about to head into a conversation when there was a knock on the door.

"Well that must be..." Kate gave them a little smile. "your father."

"Ughhh." Kayla rolled her eyes and walk to the door whispering to her mother with no sound coming out of her mouth. "Boring-alert."

Kate gave a smile as her daughter pull open and their father appear in the doorway. Dark hair, handsome smile and undressing eyes.

"Hey dad." She greeted him as he greeted her back with a hug then looked at Kate that stood against the kitchen counter with her arms crossed.

"How was the vacation?" He asked looking back at Kayla.

"Was fun. I'm thinking that maybe me and Kyle should go visit grandma Rose for a week then the last week we have over before school starts we should visit grandma Lorena." Kayla said as she plead her fingers between each other hoping they wouldn't mind.

Usually in most households the father decides then the mother choose whether she'd agree or go against it, but in this situation it's different.

Kate never decides or choose. She just goes with the flow.

"I see no harm in it." Kyle agreed walking to his sister.

"No problem." Their father, Dale replied and looked at Kate that moved to her handbag not paying attention to them at all.

"And you mom?" Kyle asked walking to his mother placing his head on her shoulder to look at what she's doing.

"That would be a great idea." She said in almost a whisper and turn around facing the three starring faces.

"Okay cool. I'll make a few phone calls tonight." Kayla smiled and take her phone out of her jean pocket starting to walk out of the house towards Dale's vehicle outside.

"See you in the car." Kyle said and walked out following his sister's tracks.

These two is closer then you'd think. Besides being brother and sister, they're also bestfriends.

Dale raised an eyebrow and walk to Kate that simply continued struggling to open her handbag.

"So how was..." Dale started but he got interrupted by Kate that changed the subject that instant.

"How's Nicole?" She asked and look at him still with her hands on her bag.

"She's..." Dale started as he look down then back up at his ex-wife that looked a bit uncomfortable. Was there something he would lie about? Was it something he felt embarrassed about? "She left."

"Left? Why?" Kate asked a little concerned, caught off guard and speechless.

"Long story." Dale replied holding in all the information like the usual Dale would. The one Kate once got to know, not the one she married. Maybe the one she had gotten divorced with.

"Well I know a whore when I see one." Kate mentally said as she went back to struggling with the stupid zip.

It didn't strip. It just got stuck.

"Can I help?" He asked giving his hand stepping forward.

"No I'm..." She started but was too late to stop him. He already snatched the handbag from her. Just like any genius, he wiggled the zip till it went open. "Well thanks in anyway."

"My pleasure." He said and stepped back. She look into her handbag searching for phone.

But the expression that he got back made it obvious that she couldn't find what she's looking for.

"I must've pack my phone in with my clothes." She muttered and pull away from her handbag looking at Dale. "I'll see you again."

Dale watch her disappear down the corridor as he just gave a sighed and walked out of the house. For him she changed a lot after the divorce. She wasn't normally acting so shy and caught up in her own world. She was energetic and could never stop talking about all the excitement but now she's just...the exact opposite. It's like the old Kate is dead.