CHAPTER TEN

Dale is alone in the corridor with his hands in his hair like he could scream. He walks up and down waiting for any news. He just got to build a bond with Kate, he can't loose her now. Kyle and Kayla came running up to him with their grandparents. They're all concerned and shocked about what happened. All they know is that Kate is in hospital. That's about it.

"We came as soon as we could. How is she?" Kayla asked sadly and give her dad a hug.

"I don't know. They doctors didn't give me any news yet." Dale replied looking at Rose and David that gave him an odd look. Kate never even told her parents why they broke up. They're just under the impression that they didn't work out. Putting the so called cheating aside, maybe that is in the end what drove them apart. The whole setup was just the cherry ob the top.

"What exactly happened?" David asked.

"There uhmmm...there was an accident. She ran over the road and got hit by a car." he replied keeping the truth locked far away. If her parents doesn't know their daughter's life is in danger, he won't be the one to tell them. If Kate wanted them to know, she would've told him long ago. Trust is based on more than friendship. "Why isn't anyone telling us anything?"

"Let the doctors do their job. It's not easy being a doctor." Rose said touching his shoulder. He turn around with tears in his eyes.

"That's what I'm most afraid of...of them not telling me she's alright." He said noticing the others isn't listening. His heart is breaking. "I can't loose her. Not now, not ever."

"She's gonna be alright." Rose assured. Before Dale could react the doctor came out and take a deep breath.

"She's in there. But she's not...she's in a coma. The chances of brain damage is very big and if she wakes up the possibility that she'll be herself again is very small." The doctor told them. "Also, I think it's best if you guys don't see her. Just until she had fully recover. It's for the best."

"I want to see her doctor." Dale said stepping forward but the doctor stopped him instantly.

"Not now. Trust me." The doctor said. He nod and step back. When the doctor speaks, the patient must listen.

"Is there anything we can do for her?" David asked prudently. No matter hiw old you get or your children, in the end you're still their parents.

"Well, there is one thing." came up as he had everyone's attention. "Just believe and trust that she'll wake up."

"What do you mean?" Dale asked looking serious. To him it feels like this doctor knows Kate. He does. The doctor who examined her after the attack. The doctor that told her she's pregnant before the attack. It's easy to get a pregnancy test done, but seeing a doctor to make sure is much better.

"We're not sure that she'll wake up. If she doesn't react or anything we'll have to switch off the machines." The doctor told them.

Dale wanted to walk in, but Rose grabbed his arm getting his attention.

"Dale, as a mother and a wife I'd suggest we leave this okay. In her position I wouldn't want anyone remembering me like that." Rose said. Well, she's speaking from a mother's perspective.

"The last time I saw her, I saw her running. Running with fear." Dale said as Kayla touch his shoulder making him look at her crying eyes.

"Daddy, she's right. We wouldn't want us to remember her like that." Kayla cried.

Dale nod and pull his daughter into a tight hug. Kyle pull in his lips also crying. Dale invite him into a comfort hug. What if it's their last chance to see her?
He didn't even get the chance to tell her that he never cheated on her.