Chapter 7: Too Far

Upstairs, there was a small space that overlooked the downstairs area. couches and tables were stacked up against the railing, a temporary position to allow for the dancefloor. The pile backed up against a weathered wood-paneled wall. Large framed images aligned perfectly with the tops of three black doors. "This is the second bedroom, bathroom," we walk past the first two doors and he opened the last to what looked like an office. A spread of Apple products sat on a modern, glass desk. "And this is my studio."

The room was warm and welcoming, despite the dark gray walls and lack of windows. Some editorials hung in magazine-sized frames beside the desk. I took a step inside to get a better look, but when I saw the bed in the corner. Shit

I turned to leave. Ziggy pushed the door closed and turned me to press my back against it.

I pushed my hands against his chest, trying to gain some distance from him, but it didn't work. He leaned forward with obvious intention. I turned my head and his kiss landed at my cheek. "Oh, come on." He laughed, though he didn't seem amused.

"Ziggy, I can't do this. You are my patient."

"I'm not your patient right now."

His proximity exuded a heat-filled wave of sensuality. My breathing shallowed as I become aware of how his body felt against mine. I fought to stay focused.

"You of all people know how important this night is for me. This is probably going to be my last party, my last night of fun. This is the night I'll get to have my last, crazy fuck, and it's supposed to be with you."

I was surprised, but I shouldn't have been. "I'm pretty sure I get some say in that."

"I guess you said enough when you brought your fucking boyfriend."

"He isn't my . . ." I saw no point in finishing that sentence.

"Yeah, yeah, but that's exactly why you brought him, isn't it?"

I let out a heavy sigh. He ran the back of his fingers gently against my cheek. He turned my chin to make me look at him.

"There is a very good chance I'm not going to make it through this, Sabine. You know how I feel about you. I'm the dying guy obsessed with his nurse," he said. I stared at him and feel my cheeks warm. His hand gripped the nape of my neck. "All I want is to show you just how much I want you . . . while I still have a chance."

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I knew I needed to say no, but I didn't want to. So, I hesitated.

He took advantage, leaning closer once more. He tilted his head and his mouth hovered over mine for just a second. I let my eyes close, and then he kissed me.

When Ziggy kisses you, it demands your complete attention. The passionate way he sucked my lips, the teasing breath of a pause before he took them again . . . The man knew exactly what he was doing. His kisses captivated me, teased me. I placed my hands on his cheeks, not wanting him to stop. I was so distracted by his tongue in my mouth that I barely noticed his hands sliding to my chest.

Kissing him made my brain stop working, leaving only my body to take over. It was just our lips, our tongues, our excited breaths. His thumbs circling my nipples beneath the thin material of my bra. A warmth pooling between my thighs.

He cupped my ass with both hands, pulling my hips forward to grind against his. I felt his erection beneath his tight pants. moved his mouth to my neck, sucking it gently, the sensation causing me to sink my teeth into my lip to keep from moaning.

Admittedly, I imagined it—feeling him inside me, the hot, sweaty minutes and the pleasure we could share. But what I couldn't imagine was how I would be able to care for him during his treatment after it was over.