Chapter Øne

Your P.O.V.

It all started a few years ago when my mom threw me a surprise party for my birthday. I was fresh out of college, turning twenty four after receiving a master's degree in psychology. I opened the door of my apartment with caution as it was unlocked; as visits were scarce in my place, I almost maced my mom's eyes, but luckily, I didn't. Yay me.

"Happy birthday, y/n," said f/n (your friend's name - this friend uses pronouns of a boy, FYI). He handed me a big festive bag with tissue paper dangling out over the sides. I opened it excitedly, thankful he remembered, unlike my other friends. I ripped the tissue paper from the bag and tossed it behind me, my eyes lighting up as I further inspected the bag. There was a bottle of Pink Diamond Cher Lloyd perfume, a fifteen dollar gift card to Starbucks, and a CD.

I pulled out the CD and studied it. Twenty One Pilots? I asked myself. I wonder what this is. "Thank you, f/n. Is this album good?"

"Oh," f/n said with a nervous chuckle, "I don't really know. I bought it because it said new on the shelf. I know how you like new things."

I smiled as he said that. I nodded, and thanked him again. Oh well, maybe I'll listen to it later.

Two hours had passed and everyone left. It was just me and my roommate, Duran... Okay, he was not exactly a roommate. He was my cat. Anyways, I popped the new CD f/n gave me into my CD player and laid down on my bed. I grabbed an old baseball and started tossing it in the air a few times to occupy my mind while the CD player prepared the track.

My mind was blown only a few seconds into Ode to Sleep. The sound was amazing -- It was eerie and captivating. By the break for the second track, I had already missed the first one. Midway through the second song, I began wondering why I had never heard of the band before. The music was astounding, and just what I craved. I had found a new band, and better yet, a new crave for sound.

~Last Year~

I was driving my low budget klunker home from work when I heard a chime coming from my handbag. I pulled my cell phone out and saw the notification for two messages from f/n. I turned in the parking lot of a Subway and read the messages.

F/n: Hey

F/n: You there?

Suddenly another message popped up.

F/n: YODEL AY EE HOOOOO

I replied back saying...

Me: I'm here. Shush.

I continued driving for a little while. I was almost home, and was going to stop by the liquor store on the way. I heard another chime coming from my phone as I pulled into the (liquor store near your home) parking lot and into a front row space. I pulled out my cell phone again and read his text.

F/n: Do you think you can hang out tonight? Get a drink?

I sighed knowingly. F/n had liked me for a little while just then. I thought he'd stopped after a bit, but I was wrong. He constantly asked me out on dates, wanted me to go to parties with him and his friends that were still high schoolers at the time, and a bunch of other shit that I just couldn't find myself doing with him.

I dialed his number and held the phone up to my ear, waiting for him to pick up. After only a few rings, he answered.

"Hello?" He questioned. 

"F/n," I replied. "I don't think you understand..."

"Do I?"

Frustrated, I snapped, "f/n, we've been friends way too long. I just don't think it'd work."