The New Girl

Leo POV

**************

After auto shop with Jason and Nyssa, I headed to home economics class.

"I see we have two new students to the school: Leo Valdez and Callie Atlas." The teacher, Miss Windsor, said.

My heart jumped when I saw Callie: caramel hair braided with gold, almond eyes, pouty lips, a crisp white t-shirt, jeans, and Greek gladiator sandals. In short, she looked an awful lot like a girl I knew, a girl I promised I'd come back for....

She sat next to me. "Hi," she said to me, as if speaking to an old friend, which made my heart constrict.

"Hi; I'm..." I began.

"Leo, I know." Callie said.

There was a pause, and then she said, "You're staring at me."

"Mr. Valdez," Miss Windsor said, "I understand she's a very pretty girl, but please pay attention to the lesson."

I blushed. "Y-yes, Miss Windsor." I muttered as the class snickered at me.

I turned to study Callie again. She looked at me skeptically.

"S-sorry," I admitted, "You just...remind me of someone, a girl I met a while ago..."

"You broke your oath," Callie said suddenly.

My heart skipped a beat. "W-what oath?"

She pressed her lips to my ear, and whispered, "You promised you'd come back for me. Instead, I became mortal and came after you. It's so nice to see you again, Leo."

"Callie..." I mumbled. "Short for...?"

"Calypso."