Chapter 11

Geoffrey's head was pounding and he was hearing echoes. The hands cradling his head were warm where everything else was cold. He tried to speak but could only cough violently. Trembling, he tried to calm his heart. He new it was the panic that was making him confused, and promptly controlled his breathing.

"That's it. You're doing great... You're safe for now, do not worry," The voice... Henry say to him, quietly. He opened his eyes again, flinching away at the light but it soon everything became clear.

He looked up.

Henry looked exactly like the painting back in the castle, but still, it was surreal to see him. After so much time hearing descriptions from Wolfgan, he almost expected to see god-like creature, but Henry was much more simple. Much more gentle. His face was mature, but there were no harsh lines, almost like time did not touch him.

"Henry..." he rasped. The man smiled, tugging him into a sitting position. The floor was hard and cold beneath him now.

"Well, you know me," Henry said, "but I do not know you."

Geoffrey looked around. He was in the place he saw in his visions. It was a cave, empty and small. On the corner, a fur cape lied on the ground and on top of it... A child. A hullian child, a little boy.

The boy shook his little hands at him and smiled, drool rolling down his chin. He seemed wan, and fragile, surrounded by ice.

"What..." he stuttered. It was the boy of his visions.

He looked behind him. There was no way out, no doors. He was so confused.

"Shh, it's alright. He's gone for now."

"The giant? We need to get out of here!"

Henry was dressed in heavy winter clothes but they were sort of in tatters. It was clear he had shed the cloak for the child, but Henry was not freezing.

He was not even shaking. Neither was Geoffrey.

Geoffrey easily came to the conclusion the cave was under a spell. A powerful one. In fact, it could be a talisman or a shrine doing the spell, because Geoffrey did not believe a giant was capable of such a thing.

He stood up shakily and Henry rose with him.

"We need to get out," he said weakly, looking around. "I... I'm Geoffrey. I came to free you, but he caught me first."

Henry's smile grew sad, and he gently put his hands on Geoffrey's shoulders, shaking away dirt and snow. The child was saying gibberish, random syllables.

"There's no way out of here. Believe me, I've been here for a very long time," Henry said, eyes somber and tired. "You were foolish to come. Brave and foolish."

"No!" Geoffrey said, shaking his head. His whole blood ran cold in fear. The child had black hair and black eyes and... Wolfgan? He shook his head. "They are looking for you! Your family, Haomath and Wolfgan!"

Henry shook his head.

"No, they aren't. They think me dead. Who are you, Geoffrey? How did you get here?"

Geoffrey released a tired breath, feeling his shoulders sink. The boy was gurglishing and he felt a deep need to go to him. It was calling to him. He ignored it.

"I had a vision, I saw you and this child alive in this mountains. It was me that told your family you were alive and not dead"

Henry joined his hands beneath his chin. "A vision... Are you a shaman? Are you working for my Haomath?"