🎭Nina🎭

One Month Before

Nina exhaled slowly as her new social worker, Barney, pulled up to the Foster Care and Community Services building. Across the street is a McDonald's (where Barney promised Nina an ice cream cone after their meeting) and a morgue which Nina would secretly prefer.

"Alrighty, then!" Barney said with a big smile "Are you ready to see your mom?" 

Nina got the impression that Barney was used to dealing with six year olds- rather than sixteen year olds, such as she. Her old social worker was a grouchy, no-nonsense, 43 year old woman who dealt solely with teens, which was probably why she opted for an early retirement, leaving her case load to young 20-somethings who haven't fully experienced the horror of the system yet. 

So far, Nina has only spoken to Barney a few times. When he took her to the Montgomery's after being moved out of her 11th home, when he came to the Montgomery's to calm everyone down after they threatened to have Nina removed, and today.  Nina was going to have her court-mandated meeting with her mother.

Nina got out of the white minivan and self consciously straightened her blouse. "Let's go." She said after clearing her throat. 

Nina hadn't seen her mother in over a year, after Leanne failed the required drug test. But she was here today, supposedly sober. There was a point in Nina's life where she had lived with Leanne in a run down motel room, right off of the highway. They ate doodle-cakes and chesse puffs in lieu of meals, slept on a clunky mattress, and rarely showered due to cockroaches and mold.  When Nina was 5, Leanne was arrested for prostitution and had her parental rights suspended. 

It was the hope of everyone involved that Leanne could get clean, find a steady job and one day provide a stable home for Nina.

It never happened. 

But despite the past, Nina was excited to see her mom. As they stepped into the waiting room, Nina imagined the look of happiness on Leanne's face when she informed her of the good work she was doing- wardrobe design and music for the school plays, good grades. The school counselor even told her she's in line for some good scholarships if she keeps it up. 

If Nina could just figure out how to get along with any foster family, life would be perfect. (Ha.) 

"Barney, we have a problem." A woman said, hurriedly walking out of the conference room. The lady gestured for Barney.

"Just a minute, then." Barney mumbled to Nina and walked away.

Barney and the woman both frowned and shook their heads but Nina couldn't hear what they were saying.

The conference room door swung open and Nina saw her. She was wearing dirty jeans and a stained sweatshirt, her hair was limp and she swayed on her feet.

"Nina-bean!" Leanne exclaimed with a smile. Nina could see her teeth were yellow and beginning to rot.

"Leanne, we cannot allow you to see your daughter today." The woman said as Barney awkwardly stood next to Nina.

Leanne's smile immediately vanished. "And why the hell not? I'm here, she's here! I know my rights!" Leanne yelled but her words were jumbled and Nina could tell she wasn't sober.

"Nina, let's go back to the van." Barney said.

"No, that's my kid! You wanna see me, don't you Nina-bean?" Leanne stepped forward and the woman intervened.

"Leanne." Her voice warned.

Nina felt her eyes start to water.

"You can't deny me my visits. I know you can't. It ain't right!" Leanne yelled.

"Nina?" Barney was trying to get her attention but Nina just shook her head.

"You are not well, Leanne-"

"Nina! You want to see me don't you?"

Nina's eyes clouded with tears and her arms were shaking. How stupid of her. How could she ever think that her mother might be better?

"No. I don't." The words felt like poison slipping out of her mouth.

"She doesn't mean that!" Leanne shook her head violently. 

Nina walked out of the building and out to the van. A police car was in the parking lot and two officers got out, heading inside.

Barney came out and stood next to Nina, handing her a tissue. She took it and rubbed her eyes, refusing to look at him.

"I'm sorry. She passed the drug test last week so it was assumed..."

"No big deal." Nina shrugged, trying to regain any self dignity she had left.

Nina looked out across the street to McDonald's. Suddenly, an ice cream cone didn't sound so bad. A girl with cornrows stood on the sidewalk carrying a bag and a drink carrier.

Nina squinted her eyes and realized that the girl looked familiar.

Beverly. From school.

"Let's get out of here, Barney." Nina said going for the door, but it was locked.

Beverly raised her hand to wave with a hint of a friendly smile when suddenly, the sound of crying erupted in the air. Great, animalistic sobs with only one recognizable word. "Nina!"

Leanne was being led out of the building in handcuffs by the two police officers.

"Oh, man." Barney said digging for his keys and clicking the unlock button.

Nina quickly got into the car, hoping that she wouldn't be able to hear the woman who used to be her mom. But she could.

Her face was red and blotchy and covered in snot. Nina looked over her shoulder at Beverly who seemed to be standing there in shock.

"Oh my god." Nina said.

"It's alright. It's, uh, it's okay." Barney said pulling out of the parking lot.

In that moment, watching the police shove Leanne into the back of a cruiser, Nina made a decision.

"I don't want any more meetings with her. I never want to see her again." She said forcefully.

"I think...under the circumstances, a judge will agree with your wishes on the matter." Barney said passing McDonald's for the freeway towards the Montgomery's. No ice cream today.

Nina looked in the rear view mirror at Beverly, who was becoming a speck in the distance, and felt absolute shame.

I can't believe that just happened.