Chapter Twenty-Three

I hear someone climbing down the ladder and turn my head in Octavia's lap to see Jasper. He jumps off and gets on his knees next to me. "Are you okay, Carter?" He asks, and the worry and guilt is clear on his face. I give him a small smile. "I'm fine, Jasper." I say and go to sit up, but Octavia places her hands on my shoulders, keeping me laying down. "Don't even think about it." She says, and I roll my eyes, pushing her hands off of me. "Really, guys. I'm okay." I say and manage to sit up with only a small wince as my leg throbs with pain.

The sound of another person coming down the ladder causes all three of us to turn our heads as Bellamy's feet hit the floor. He doesn't say a word, just kneels down beside me on the opposite side of Jasper, puts one hand behind my back and the other under my knees, and lifts me up. "Bellamy!" I yelp in surprise, quickly wrapping my arms around his neck in fear of falling. He keeps his face neutral as he walks out of the Dropship, past the people gathered at the front of the Dropship, and into his tent.

Bellamy gently places me on the bed and starts rummaging for something at the foot of the bed. "Bellamy, what are you doing?" I ask, but he ignores me, just keeps looking for something. I huff, crossing my arms over my chest and doing to the same with my legs but wince when pain shoots through my injured one. I jump when Bellamy is suddenly on his knees in front of me. He places both hands on my injured thigh and starts playing with the hole in my pants to look at the wound. He stops and looks up at me. "I can't see it. You're gonna have to take these off." He says, his voice rough and hoarse from the recent events, and my face is suddenly burning.

Sure, Bellamy and I have kissed before, and I saw him shirtless that one time, but I have never been missing clothes in front of him before. I nod, looking down as I quickly unbutton and unzip my pants. I wiggle as I try to get them off my hips but fail miserably. I stand up, noticing that Bellamy doesn't move away, and begin sliding them down. Bellamy's hands cover mine as they reach my thighs, helping me as I sit back down on the bed. Bellamy pulls off my boots before pulling my pants all the way off, taking my socks with them, and leaves me just in my tank top and underwear. I look at the wound, avoiding his gaze as he picks up a strip of cloth from next to him.

Bellamy gently lifts my injured leg slightly off the bed and begins wrapping it with the cloth. I get the courage to look at him, but he is looking at my leg with so much concentration, so I let my gaze wander. I gaze over his freckle covered nose and cheeks, see the minor cuts he has covering his face, and watch his dark eyes dart back and forth as he continues wrapping. He ties off the makeshift bandage, rather roughly, causing me to gasp. "Sorry." He says, letting his hands rest on my thigh, and I catch sight of his neck, making my heart sink to my toes.

Around Bellamy's neck is a dark bruise from the seat belts. Without thinking, I reach a hand out and gently touch it with my fingertips. I purse my lips, biting roughing into my lower one, as I trail my fingertips from one side to the other. "Bellamy." I whisper, feeling his eyes on my face. He places a hand on my cheek and wipes his thumb under my eyes. I didn't realize I was crying until he did that. I take in a deep breath, sliding my hand up to his cheek.

Bellamy quickly stands up, causing my hand to fall from his cheek. I let it slap against my bare leg and look down at my feet. The bed dips beside me, and I turn my head to see Bellamy sitting close to me. Really close. He puts his hand back to my face, letting it slide backwards until it rests on the back of my neck. I look into his deep brown eyes and see so many things flashing through them. Fear, relief, and something else that holds such an intensity that I feel my face heat up and have to look away.

"Carter." He whispers, but I don't look up from the corner of the bed I have focused on. "Carter, look at me." He says, placing a hand under my chin and forcing me to look at him. I blink a couple of times, trying to not let more pointless tears fall, and he doesn't say anything else. He just leans in closer to me and presses his lips to my forehead. I close my eyes, just enjoying this tender moment with Bellamy, and he leans away.