Chapter Three: Smitten

Smitten had made his way to the suburban part of the city. He was walking along the outer edge of the neighborhood next to fenced backyards. He passed backyards that had tire swings, porch swings, hammocks, trees, small gardens, and much more. The fences were short and made of metal wire, easy for him to peer through. He walked very slowly, trying to hide behind the dense weeds that grew along the outside of the fences, but he had yet to have caught sight of any people. Only a couple dogs that barked when they heard him. Smitten wasn't thrilled at the thought of getting any attention but he wasn't scared. This neighborhood seemed unpretentious; Smitten was content.

One house made Smitten stop. He wanted to get a better look. The backyard of the house was well-kept with bright green grass and a garden along one side of it. Lawn chairs where sitting on the back deck, and toys were sprung out in the yard. The upper windows were open with light glowing from within the house. Smitten spotted shadows moving inside. What had drawn him in the most was the back door, which stood open. A very pleasing aroma that made Smitten feel warm and comforted drifted from the door.

Smitten searched the bottom of the fence until he found a spot that had enough space for him to squeeze underneath and into the yard. He hid in the garden, hoping the voices from inside the house would not find him. The smell that came from the back door then blended with that of the garden and it made Smitten's spine tingle. The garden was full of rosemary and parsley. Strong scented herbs, just like the ones that grew in the garden in which Smitten's mother had raised him and his brother and sisters.

Smitten found his way closer and closer to the door. The pleasant smell coming from the door made him hungry. From the inside of the house, he could hear gentle voices and giggling. He still was not afraid, but he didn't want to cause any trouble. The moment he spotted a human stepping through the back door, he crouched low in the garden. It was a woman. She was tall, and had a friendly face. The woman turned back toward the door and called into the house, Isaac, come pick up your toys, please.

Smitten watched as a child, a boy raced through the door past the woman and into the yard. He stumbled a little but picked himself up and began gathering his toys. His arms were full, causing him to walk unsteadily.

Make sure you get all of them, then come in for dinner, the woman told him. She then went back into the house.

The boy Isaac headed toward the garden to check for any toys that might have been lying within the plants. Smitten watched him from his hiding spot without blinking.

All of a sudden, Isaac lost his grasp of the heap of toys he'd been holding and they fell to the ground boisterously. Smitten couldn't help but have been startled. He jumped from where he was hiding and bolted toward the fence. Before squeezing back underneath, he stopped and turned to see what was happening. Isaac stood staring back at Smitten with an excited expression. Instantaneously, the boy started in Smitten's direction.

Smitten's heart was racing and he prepared himself to jolt under the fence to escape if he needed to. But Isaac stopped just before reaching the kitten. Kitty, he said with his child-like voice.

Smitten breathed heavily but stood there still as a crane, his eyes wide and fixed on the little boy standing before him. He wasn't sure whether he should have ran away or not. Perhaps the boy meant no harm, he thought. Isaac had young, innocent eyes.

At that moment, the woman, Isaac's mother came back outside. What happened?

There's a kitty, mommy, Isaac said.

I see that. What a beautiful kitten. Did you try to pet it?

Isaac stepped closer to Smitten. Smitten did not budge still, but he tensed.

Don't scare the kitty, honey, Isaac's mother said. Be slow.

Isaac very easily leaned over and reached his hand out toward Smitten. Smitten sniffed the boy's small, chubby fingers, stepping a bit closer as well. Isaac was grinning. Then Smitten allowed for the little boy to pet his head.

After that, Isaac's mother ended up petting Smitten as well. Smitten let Isaac pick him up and carry him inside their house where they showed him to Isaac's father.

That's a nice looking kitten, the man said of Smitten.

A little dirty though. Do you think he belongs to anybody? Isaac's mother wondered.

Probably. But who knows?

Isaac had not stopped smiling. Can we keep the kitty? He asked his parents, as he rubbed Smitten's back. Isaac petted Smitten roughly, but Smitten let the boy continue to do it still.

Isaac's mother said, I don't know, honey. Maybe.

The father knelt down and scratched Smitten's ears. Smitten closed his eyes and reveled in the pleasurable feeling. Maybe he can stay here for now. But we'll keep our eyes out for any missing kitten notices, the man said.

Sounds good to me, the mother chimed.

After that, Smitten was given a small bowl of the soup broth Isaac's mother had been cooking.

I don't think cats like that kind of stuff, the father said. But Smitten lapped it up. The warm broth tasted of herbs. It made him feel at home.

The whole rest of the evening until Isaac's bedtime, the boy doted over the kitten he'd found. He hugged Smitten, squeezing him a bit too tight. He grabbed at Smitten's feet and tail. He ruffled Smitten's fur. He carried Smitten here and there and all over. Smitten did not growl, hiss, bite or scratch. He simply allowed Isaac to enjoy himself.

That night after Isaac had gone to bed, Smitten was sleeping on the couch next to the man and the woman of the house. Isaac had wanted for Smitten to sleep in bed with him but the parents had known that the kitten was in need of some peace.

That little guy sure has a lot of patience, the father said.

The mother agreed. She leaned over and began to stroke Smitten's small, curled up body. Smitten purred. He'd been stricken. A strong feeling rose up deep inside of him and he was in high spirits.