-Chapter Four-

*Aylina's POV*

    My body aches as my eyes slowly open to a dull thumping of a heart monitor. Looking around at my surroundings , I realize I am in a hospital room. My heart rate begins to accelerate as I begin to panic. I pull the needles out of my arm. Standing to my feet, I collapse almost instantly as my legs feel like jelly. I sat there collapsed on the floor for a few moments, unsure of my surroundings and trying to keep my breath steady.

    "Aylina?" A man enters the room with a concerned look on his face. He is relatively tall with fluffy brown hair and striking gold eyes.

    My body begins to panic again, where exactly am I? What happened? The last thing I remember was falling unconscious in the faculty.

    With thoughts overwhelming my brain, I say out loud without intention, "Please, I don't want to cause any harm."

    My voice appears so much weaker than I would like. I'm so tired of living like this, I just want the pain to end. Although, the smallest simmer of hope that had I been rescued still lingered.

    "I," the man stumbles, seeming angry and trying to control his breath, "I am not here to hurt you, Aylina. My name is Kian, I am Kaiser's older brother. You're safe."

    "Kaiser? Where is he? Is he okay?" I look up suddenly, meeting eyes with the man in front of me. His eyes lock with mine and my body stops breathing for just a moment. A whirlwind of emotions overtake me with hope that I haven't been able to experience in years.

    'Mate,' my wolf whispers softly, 'We have a mate'.

    I bury those thoughts, no sane wolf would ever accept me as their mate.

    He takes a deep sigh, "Kaiser is fine."

    "Can I see him?" I ask, only to see the disappointment in his eyes as I ask for his younger brother. I know he wants me to acknowledge him as my mate, but I feel hesitant to do so.

    "Kaiser is getting checked for injuries at the moment, you will be able to see him tonight at dinner," Kian reassures me steadily, helping me back onto the bed.

    "How long was I out?"

    "Only two hours," he sighs, rubbing the back of his head, "But the traces of wolfsbane and silver that were in that syringe should have knocked you out for at least a day or two. If I had known you would be up sooner I would've stayed with you."

    I watch his expression as he explains himself. The confusion, the guilt, the pain all swirling around in his eyes as he speaks.

    "Kian," I call for him softly to look directly at me in shock, "I've been through a lot."

    It takes me a moment to gather all my thoughts. I've been locked up for so long. The joy of having a mate is exciting and fulfilling, but I never got a chance to live. It feels like an exchange of one prison to a confinement of expectation. The fear of what they make think of me, especially with how many I've killed also lurks in the back of my head.

    I smile softly, "I am not suitable to be a mate, at least not yet. I have done things, horrific things. I am not qualified to be a loving present mate, not yet at least, especially not the mate to someone of an Alpha bloodline."

    He thinks quietly for a moment, before hesitantly placing his hand on my cheek, "Aylina, I ask that you give me a chance to prove to you that you are a worthy mate and of a Luna title. As selfish as it sounds, I don't want you to leave. My wolf truly can't take the thought of it."

"And how do you know I can become that?" I ask, a little upset by his assumptions, "Kian, I don't even know who I am. My life has been nothing but experiments, torture, and brutal fights. I just have been freed from confinement... I want to see what I've missed."