AMMG ~4~

With her corset ripped it was easier to breathe as she ran, though ignoring shocked looks and pointed glances made it harder.

The tears were running down her face streaking her face powder for the second time that evening. The skirts she was lifting were heavier than she expected, so she darted into a darkened room to catch her breath thinking only about how she'd just been ruined, and that even the Marquess wouldn't want her.

Leaning on the door-frame, she closed the door. The house was one of the largest she'd ever been in, and as the gardens were at the other end, she resolved that this was probably the appropriate hiding place. Turning around, she noticed a blazing fire in the centre.

The room was built using warm earth colours, burnt orange, browns and golds giving it the cozy feeling the fire alluded to. It was small, an uneeded study perhaps, certainly not grand enough to be a private study.

She suddenly realised how cold she was, and walking over to the fire, she felt her goosebumps settle.

The large armchair nearby seemed to beckon her.

Mulling over her current situation she sank down into it.

"Well I didn't expect to find you here."

She gasped as she realised she had again run into the blasted man!

"What are you doing here?"

He appeared from out of the shadows, walking slowly, an almost a predatory gait.

She noticed and shivered as she thought if what he had said earlier, "many wouldn't cross me".

What had he done?

She carried on.

"Well after you left me on the dance floor, I tripped over into a dancing couple-" She felt her eyes narrow in irrational irritation again and his clear amusement.

"Pray tell me My Lord, why amuses you so?"

He stopped. "The image of you falling of the Earl and Countess that are the very hosts of the party."

She groaned iternally. She had not even introduced herself to them and she had ruined their evening?

She sank even lower into her chair.

"Well, how amusing for you My Lord. Unfortunately for others, for instance myself, did not find this so funny. I have embarrassed myself, my Father and my family name whilst we are there."

Suddenly he disappeared out of her peripheral vision.

She turned around to find him standing behind her chair, resting his arms in it.

Leaning close her ear for the second time that evening, he whispered so quietly that she could hardly hear him.

"That's not the only think I would be worrying about if I were you."

What was with that utter stupidity of the man? Really, she felt as if she could cuff him round the ear quite a few times, but it was sheer self control and manner installment that prevented her from doing so.

"Well, Sir, what should I be worrying about?"

"The fact that you are in a room, alone, in a house you know not well, with a man of similar consequence, who has told you to stay away?"

She turned and looked up to him.

"You seem to think rather highly of yourself, don't you?"

"As a matter a fact I do. . In fact, I would go as far as to say the feeling of people being terrified of me brings a certain good feeling." He sneered at her with the last words. "And it's Your Grace to you."