AMMG ~24~

What's this? 2 updates in 3 days? Clearly feeling creative! :p

Amy

Rosalie touched the locket around her neck and attempted to process her thoughts. She knew a little about what was going on and why the Marquess had feel the need to abduct her, and it concerned her.

He'd mentioned to his men that he needed the money in a fit a pique when one of them had looked disgruntled and had spoken harshly to him. He'd also mentioned when he'd abducted her that he intended to marry her.

She was thinking hard. He knew the Gretna wedding would not stand in most eyes, and thus the Duke would not have to hand over the dowry, so why were they heading north?

To bribe a vicar he knew in north England?

The drive had only been a week, and her back was aching, wrists bleeding and sore, and mouth dry from the gag. The leg covering what was left of her leg was also yellow and she was terrified of it being infected and festering again.

She was weak from lack of proper water and food as well. She had slept in the carriage the night before whilst a paid scoundrel from the nearby village watched over her. The men had gone into an inn to sleep fully. This was the process every night, and the uncomfortable seats had taken their toll.

Her previously green day dress had turned a mucky brown from her attempts at escape and small globs of spittle sat upon her delicately pearled bodice from the men spitting disgustingly at her.

Tears were forming again as she thought of her father, of Eva, of Freddie. And her fiancé. She wondered how he fared.

She frowned slightly at her thoughts. He wouldn't be her fiancee anymore. She'd break off the engagement. He couldn't otherwise it showed a complete lack of honour. He might argue at first, but he'd appreciate it in the long run. He'd be allowed to gallivant for at least another 10 years before he'd need to start settling down. And he deserved a beautiful, young woman who could run with him and chase their children.

It was shame really. She wasn't so much frightened of him now, more half attracted, half wary.

Her daydreams of him were interrupted by the realization that the Marquess was speaking to her.

"Chit. Don't ignore me."

A slap round the face from the taller brute beside her bought more tears to her eyes as she fought to keep them down.

The Marquess smiled cruelly at her. She'd noticed as the journey carried on that he got meaner and more physically abusive.

Her pride fluffed and remembered its own presence as she stared him chillingly.

"You were always to proud wench. Men were almost frightened of you, you were so haughty. They thought themselves beneath you because of your beauty, title and arrogance. Well you are mine to possess and I can treat you as I would a small puppy because you will be my wife."

Rosalie relaxed her shoulders slightly, relieved that he would treat her more gently.

He watched her again.

"I would drown them."

Rosalie stiffened in shock and terror and tried to stop from trembling.

He placed his grotesque hand across hers and peered up from underneath her lowered face, her hair falling as greasy curtains around his face.

"But you are too useful to me."

He lifted her chin up with thus hand, and smiled again.

"Punch her."

The man to the left of her moved to get more momentum into his swing, aiming at her ribs.

"No." His eyes flashed maniacally, "To the face. The eye socket to be exact, for the challenging glare earlier. That will treat you for being insubordinate."

She saw the fist approach her right eye and managed to close it just in time as pain ripped through her eyeball and brow bone.

She opened it gingerly, aware of the Marquess's blurry face watching her.

The tissue was sore and puffy, the swelling nearly shutting it.

Wilborough smiled in satisfaction, the gleam in his eye not receding.

A whack on the side of the carriage distracted him as he peered his head out of the opened window.

"Alrigh' Guvna'? The driver yelled to another coach passing. He leant down from where he was sitting to address the Marquess. "We a' hav' a reach' Gretna Green mi'Lord. We in oldie Scotland nah'!"

His eyes lit up differently. "Very Good Dickers. Travel for a few more miles north of the border, away from Gretna Green and find us a suitable inn."

He smiled at Rosalie who looked at him confusedly. They weren't actually here for Gretna Green and gone too far north for an English wedding. Was he not willing to marry her? The thought fluttered but for pains sake she thought not dwell to much, lest she become too hopeful.

"Here starts my second plan, my Love!"

Rosalie looked at him, itching to yell something at him.

His face was twisted into a maniacs expression. "Oh it doesn't have anything to do with you. This is for more of a politically sensitive situation. I do love the Scots. Easy to rile as I recall, and have desperately poor economic situation. "

He turned to his men. "How about it men? Start a Civil War?"

Invading Rosalie's space once again, he whispered to her. "I've made sure that documents will be found upon your Father and your Fiancee after I am finished here. I suspect your Father and his associate will not risk the hanging of a man connected to you- can you imagine the scandal? I will get them found out to be protecting the traitor. They will be blamed for treason against the crown and for causing the War. They will hang, or, if they manage to bribe their way out of it, I have assassins ready in the Gaol. Meanwhile, I will get rich as I inherit everything of your Father's because you and I will be married. And I've also got few investments in weapons for the incoming war. I will be rich beyond anyone's fantasies and you will lose everything. I would say it serves you right for treating me as you did."

His cold, calculating, piggy eyes stared at her as she recoiled in horror. This had been beyond any of her wildest imagination.

"I will also have you 'accidentally killed' during the first few months of marriage. I see no point to you except to inherit. Maybe before I could have enjoyed you, but with that," he gestured to her leg, "you are an ugly, disgusting waste of a pretty face."

He peered closer at her leg. "Actually, that might kill you sooner. I wouldn't have to pay for someone to kill you! See! Everything works for those who wait."

So shocked was she, she could only blink stupidly at him, though only one eye could as the other one was now completely swollen shut.

"Knock her out boys. I can't stand her face looking at me."

A sudden pain, and the world went black.